Towing with later Renault Koleos

trussers replied on 13/06/2022 20:05

Posted on 13/06/2022 20:05

I am toying with buying a 2019/20 Koleos auto, and wondered if anyone out there tows with one?  I note that it is a CV box....showing my ignorance, if there are no gears, can you shift down for engine braking?  I occasionally tow in mountainous areas, so some engine braking would be nice!

I have in the past had the old shape Koleos, which was an outstanding tow car.  However reviews for the later shape express concerns on sluggishness and poor stability....any info gratefully received.

Thanks 

Tinwheeler replied on 13/06/2022 20:21

Posted on 13/06/2022 20:21

It depends on the make/model but you can usually go up and down the ratios manually. I had a Subaru Forester which had flappy paddles for doing exactly that.

However, I didn’t use the car for towing and have never considered a CVT to be the best auto box, especially for towing. You can’t beat a good old TC box, on the whole.

eribaMotters replied on 13/06/2022 21:12

Posted on 13/06/2022 21:12

If you have read reports that express concerns over sluggishness and stability then surely you have your answer and would be advisable to look elsewhere. 

Colin

trussers replied on 15/07/2022 00:37

Posted on 15/07/2022 00:37

Thanks for views so far, but no actual experience of the car.  Anyone out there actually towing with one of these, your view would be welcome.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook