Toyota RAV4 PHEV towing impressions

flatcoat replied on 24/04/2022 19:09

Posted on 24/04/2022 19:09

We finally towed with the our new car today albeit only about 15 miles home from storage. Nevertheless it gave some useful early feedback. First impression is the car is quiet and has plenty of grunt and romped up the hills without breaking a sweat. The key issue is an unsettled ride and achieving the 70kg noseweight limit. I need to play with tyre pressures however any suggestions (other than the obvious) how to get the noseweight down on a Swift 580 layout (rear bathroom, transverse island bed) most welcome, I already travel with minimum ‘stuff’ in the locker. 

flatcoat replied on 04/07/2022 07:30

Posted on 03/07/2022 17:10 by Pip56

I too am looking at the RAV4  - but my Bailey Seville only delivers about 35kg noseweight!  My problem has been getting enough weight up front!

Posted on 04/07/2022 07:30

In that case in my view you don’t have a problem! Having now towed from Huddersfield to Inverness and back I can say overall the current RAV is more than acceptable as a tow car. Economy is comparable with any diesel I have had, stability and performance superb. Setting off to Austria on Friday so will update on that trip in due course. 

Navigateur replied on 15/05/2023 15:21

Posted on 15/05/2023 15:21

If the question of the uncomfortable ride when towing has not been resolved might I suggest towing the caravan with a different vehicle to find out what difference there is - and similarly towing a different caravan.

PeterandKaren replied on 13/12/2023 18:09

Posted on 13/12/2023 18:09

Have any other people got any feedback on the RAV 4.  It was a good drive but pondering towing.  Our van, a Lexon 540 is within the towing limit just.  As a solo vehicle it’s very good so in a conundrum 🤔

flatcoat replied on 13/12/2023 19:23

Posted on 13/12/2023 18:09 by PeterandKaren

Have any other people got any feedback on the RAV 4.  It was a good drive but pondering towing.  Our van, a Lexon 540 is within the towing limit just.  As a solo vehicle it’s very good so in a conundrum 🤔

Posted on 13/12/2023 19:23

If you look for Oscarmax on the CarsvanTalk or Toyota Owners UK forums he has the almost identical  Suzuki Across and tows at 1500kg. (apart from badges and grille it is the same car made for Suzuki by Toyota). Another happy owner.
We haven’t towed as much this year, simply due to unemployment and health challenges kicking our Austria trip into the long grass. However if your caravan is legally within the cars towing limits then I don’t see a problem. We are now approaching 27,000 miles in 2 years and economy still amazes me, whether solo or towing. Not just As good as any diesel tug I have previously owned, but better! The only issue I have had is faulty sunroof compounded by a dealer who I dont think knew what they were doing to repair it. 
The ride has improved by virtue of changing tyres, playing with tyre pressures and I suspect a loosening up of the car from initial tightness. On reflection I also realise for a 2 tonne SUV the handling is pretty good too. The most frustrating omission for me on ours is lack of 360 camera. At the price headlamp washers and heated steering wheel should have been included too. If you are looking at new, the latest infotainment is far superior. If you go for one I strongly recommend you buy a full boot space liner that covers the sides too. Otherwise I love the car and the ‘Q’ car abilities to leave clapped out Fiesta driving yoofs or tarted up loud 3series disappearing in the rear view mirror. 

Oscarmax replied on 14/12/2023 16:32

Posted on 13/12/2023 19:23 by flatcoat

If you look for Oscarmax on the CarsvanTalk or Toyota Owners UK forums he has the almost identical  Suzuki Across and tows at 1500kg. (apart from badges and grille it is the same car made for Suzuki by Toyota). Another happy owner.
We haven’t towed as much this year, simply due to unemployment and health challenges kicking our Austria trip into the long grass. However if your caravan is legally within the cars towing limits then I don’t see a problem. We are now approaching 27,000 miles in 2 years and economy still amazes me, whether solo or towing. Not just As good as any diesel tug I have previously owned, but better! The only issue I have had is faulty sunroof compounded by a dealer who I dont think knew what they were doing to repair it. 
The ride has improved by virtue of changing tyres, playing with tyre pressures and I suspect a loosening up of the car from initial tightness. On reflection I also realise for a 2 tonne SUV the handling is pretty good too. The most frustrating omission for me on ours is lack of 360 camera. At the price headlamp washers and heated steering wheel should have been included too. If you are looking at new, the latest infotainment is far superior. If you go for one I strongly recommend you buy a full boot space liner that covers the sides too. Otherwise I love the car and the ‘Q’ car abilities to leave clapped out Fiesta driving yoofs or tarted up loud 3series disappearing in the rear view mirror. 

Posted on 14/12/2023 16:32

Both an excellent vehicle both solo and towing, the majority of the time we run in EV only 56+ in the warmer weather and 46/47 in the winter.

We have not experienced any stability problems if fact it is far more stable than our 2017 Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel, plus it pulls like a steam train, the worst I have seen is 35.4mpg towing.

The Across comes standard with the headlamp washers and heated steering wheel, but for some strange reason no speed limiter.

100% happy glad I followed Flatcoat's advice.

flatcoat replied on 14/12/2023 22:43

Posted on 14/12/2023 22:43

To clarify towing stability is fine, very little impact from cross winds or passing trucks etc. the stability that concerned me initially was the ride quality which took a little while to optimise. In terms of economy differences with Oscarmax, we live on the edge of the Pennines so have some quite hilly aspects to many of our journeys, solo or towing. And I don’t strive to hypermile. My preference is to travel as quickly and efficiently. As an aside if buying new, I would look at the Across too, it’s a good package but omits the ‘app’ to manage the car and monitor usage. 

Oscarmax replied on 15/12/2023 13:49

Posted on 15/12/2023 13:49

We have very easy quiet  A road access only 10 miles from the motorway network, no hills to speak off plus our outfit is running nearer the 1450kg mark, I will however fill up with E5, when towing with the Outlander we did notice a difference 2/3 mpg between E5 and E10 fuel 

Oscarmax replied on 16/12/2023 18:09

Posted on 14/12/2023 07:43 by PeterandKaren

Thank you that’s very helpful 

Posted on 16/12/2023 18:09

Suzuki Across PHEV including charging up off peak 16.11 pence kWh is working out 10 pence (0.986) a mile, if we to charge up on a standard 26.85 pence (it is due to increase January 1st) this would obviously be nearer the 11/12 pence a mile.

We previously installed a Podpoint 7 kW EV charger when they issued grant at £350 you need to allow around £1,000 for an installation.

We have solar panels and storage battery the majority of our journey are local around 30 miles. 

Personally I would look at a Toyota RAV4 HEV in HEV is it as good if not better mileage than the PHEV, tow as well, has a higher towing weight, plus cheaper to buy both new and secondhand.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook