Volvo XC40 Recharge

John and Mary replied on 03/02/2021 08:37

Posted on 03/02/2021 08:37

We're changing our tow car this year and are interested in going for a Hybrid.  One car we are considering is a Volvo XC40 T5 R Design.  Has anyone had experience towing with one of these and what are they like? I know this model has won a category in the Tow Car Awards but interested to here what they are actually like. Many thanks

Cartledge replied on 05/02/2021 14:17

Posted on 05/02/2021 14:17

Interesting thought on electric cars. The Times recently reported a test that took into account the pollution created during the manufacturing process which when added to pollution created in use showed that you needed to drive the car tested 46,500 miles before it polluted less overall than a petrol car. That’s six years use for us. 

Lies, damned lies and statistics from the green lobby?

Is hydrogen a better way?

Stay Safe!

eribaMotters replied on 05/02/2021 15:42

Posted on 05/02/2021 15:42

Oscarmax, regarding Mitsubishi above. What does it get to the gallon.

I met an ex owner a few years ago who had got shut due to the mpg he was achieving, regularly in the 15/20 range.

Cartledge, I'd like to see hydrogen as the power source. I believe the by- products are oxygen and water.

Colin

Oscarmax replied on 05/02/2021 18:19

Posted on 05/02/2021 15:42 by eribaMotters

Oscarmax, regarding Mitsubishi above. What does it get to the gallon.

I met an ex owner a few years ago who had got shut due to the mpg he was achieving, regularly in the 15/20 range.

Cartledge, I'd like to see hydrogen as the power source. I believe the by- products are oxygen and water.

Colin

Posted on 05/02/2021 18:19

When we first started we were achieving 26.5mpg measure brim to brim as opposed to the screen display, now we have honed our towing technique we are achieving 28 mpg we set the speed limiter at 55mph.

When we first started we run the battery down until we reached the M6 Toll Road approximately 14 miles, we had 2 miles left, then we hit the charge mode.

On the return journey we used the charged after the battery depleted down to 80%, this improved our mpg. Now the ICE and drive train has loosened up a bit we are seeing 28mpg towing.

Ours is the latter 2.4 model, you may be referring to the older 2.0 model with the smaller motor and batteries, if you just leave the PHEV to sort it out when towing you will deplete your batteries leaving you no reserves for steeper inclines.

Mitsubishi recommend you use the charge mode when towing, when a PHEV is towing uphill the ICE unit power the front motor/wheels, under load the batteries power up the rear motor/wheels. The Outlander use a serial and parallel  mode

Hiboux replied on 29/01/2023 18:10

Posted on 03/02/2021 08:37 by John and Mary

We're changing our tow car this year and are interested in going for a Hybrid.  One car we are considering is a Volvo XC40 T5 R Design.  Has anyone had experience towing with one of these and what are they like? I know this model has won a category in the Tow Car Awards but interested to here what they are actually like. Many thanks

Posted on 29/01/2023 18:10

Hi John and Mary, did you buy this car? We have one and are now thinking of changing from a motorhome to towing a caravan with this lovely car.  I’m interested to know how you got on?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook