VW Touareg Mk3 (2018 on) - Standard Coil Springs

noob replied on 09/11/2020 13:27

Posted on 09/11/2020 13:27

Hi all

We're about to purchase a Touareg R-line Tech, 2019 or 2020. Ideally I'd like to find one with air suspension however I'm struggling to find anything in our price range.

I've driven the R-line tech on standard coil springs and find the ride perfectly acceptable. Coming from a large estate car on sports suspension, I really don't mind a firmer ride and have always found it beneficial for my motion sickness prone children (And myself as a passenger, if I'm being perfectly honest).

However, I can't find any review or forum comments about towing on standard springs for this generation Touareg. Does anybody have any experience towing with the standard R-line suspension? Do you see much of a drop at the rear with a van hooked up? Is it likely to affect stability towing? 

We have a 2018 Sussex Coneyhurst (Lunar 586) which the Touareg will have no problem pulling and currently pack with a 75 to 80kg nose weight due to the limitations of our current car.

Thanks

viatorem replied on 12/11/2020 17:27

Posted on 10/11/2020 05:52 by richardandros

I've been towing with a Touareg Escape for the last five years and can confirm that it's a great tow car - probably the best I've had. Can't help much re the suspension because mine has raised and stiffened suspension as standard and with a nose-weight of around 90-95kg, doesn't seem to compress the suspension at all. The short rear overhang is an advantage and makes for very stable towing. Don't know how much difference there is between mine and the standard set up, though.

Posted on 12/11/2020 17:27

doesn't the Escape model has air suspension as standard? along with the locking diffs

richardandros replied on 13/11/2020 05:47

Posted on 12/11/2020 17:27 by viatorem

doesn't the Escape model has air suspension as standard? along with the locking diffs

Posted on 13/11/2020 05:47

No - it was an option for an additional £2500 when I bought mine - but that would have meant a 3 month wait for a built car as opposed to buying from stock and getting the £5k discount VW were offering at the time.

It does have the locking diffs - plus low ratio box, raised and stiffened suspension and under-body protection as standard.  Just a pity they discontinued it in 2016, or I would have swapped mine before now.

viatorem replied on 13/11/2020 11:07

Posted on 13/11/2020 11:07

I did look at a couple last time I was after a towcar. Very impressed with the build and the low range off road gear. They are a rare model though.

Lutz replied on 13/11/2020 13:41

Posted on 13/11/2020 13:41

As I interpret the OP's enquiry, the issue at stake is whether the coil spring version would result in a back end down attitude when the caravan, in this case a Lunar 586, is hitched up. For a Touareg a noseweight of 75 to 80kg, as mentioned in his post, is well within its capability without having to worry about any appreciable loss of rear suspension travel. That alone wouldn't justify the need for air suspension.

EmilysDad replied on 13/11/2020 14:51

Posted on 13/11/2020 13:41 by Lutz

As I interpret the OP's enquiry, the issue at stake is whether the coil spring version would result in a back end down attitude when the caravan, in this case a Lunar 586, is hitched up. For a Touareg a noseweight of 75 to 80kg, as mentioned in his post, is well within its capability without having to worry about any appreciable loss of rear suspension travel. That alone wouldn't justify the need for air suspension.

Posted on 13/11/2020 14:51

... That alone wouldn't justify the need for air suspension.

Nobody needs air suspension, but it's very nice to have whether you're towing or not. The self levelling function is just an added bonus.

Lutz replied on 13/11/2020 19:21

Posted on 13/11/2020 19:21

I agree, but even if the car has coil springs it will still have self levelling suspension if it also has a high energy discharge or an adaptive headlamp system. The two go together.

EmilysDad replied on 13/11/2020 20:23

Posted on 13/11/2020 19:21 by Lutz

I agree, but even if the car has coil springs it will still have self levelling suspension if it also has a high energy discharge or an adaptive headlamp system. The two go together.

Posted on 13/11/2020 20:23

I've no idea how VW self level their cars with steel springs. 

On my Vauxhall Omega the HID auto level & the car's self levelling suspension were definitely two completely separate systems. The HIDs were controlled by level sensors front & back which altered the internal reflector of the headlight. The suspension had its own level sensor & altered the level using the rear shockers.  The HIDs on my Merc do their own thing independently from the air suspension .... they do a dance when they first come on up/down left/right which makes it obvious they move independently from the actions of the ride height. I'd be surprised if levelling the car via its suspension would be fast enough to level out the beam of a HID headlamp to avoid dazzling on coming traffic. πŸ€”

I suspect a VW with steel or air springs would be the same or similar. πŸ‘

richardandros replied on 14/11/2020 06:13

Posted on 14/11/2020 06:13

I suspect a VW with steel or air springs would be the same or similar. πŸ‘

Correct ED - my Escape definitely has steel springs, and as you say, the headlights do a little dance when they first come on.

noob replied on 14/11/2020 17:40

Posted on 13/11/2020 19:21 by Lutz

Posted on 14/11/2020 17:40

Hi Lutz and thanks for bringing the discussion back OT.

There is no self levelling suspension on the standard coil suspension.

Any car with high output headlights, Xenon, LED etc will have a self levelling system. This is a legal requirement in the UK.

I currently load with a nose of 75 to 80kg as 75kg is the max for my current tow car, a 13 year old Saab 9-5 Aero estate! Which is actually a very competent tow car, regardless of but better for the uprated suspension I've fitted to it.

It's not easy to pack the van like this so I suspect 100kg is more likely when I have a toerag. Since when I first chuck stuff in the van without thinking to carefully, I usually find it's around 100kg.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook