Warning for those using A-Frames

peedee replied on 14/08/2023 12:11

Posted on 14/08/2023 12:11

I have towed my current car, a Suzuki Celerio, on an A-Frame since purchased new in 2016. Yesterday, having towed it for 7 years this happened when executing a hill start from a site onto a busy road. Fortunately I had waited until the road was completely clear. The car broke loose from the frame. The crash bar pulled completly off as I turned right onto the road and the car carried on straight across the road, up the opposite kerb and unfortunately came to a halt against a telegraph pole rather than in the bushes. Fortunately it all occurred at very slow speed and no other parties were involved. I strongly suspect the cause was metal fatigue, the crash bar literally  being torn from the chassis and with it the front bumper by the strain of the start on an incline compounded by the right turn.

This is not the first incident of this kind. A couple of years ago a very similar incident was reported on anther forum although in that one the car was older.

I am posting this so that others are made aware of the potential problem and suggest that they have their A-Frame attachments annually checked,  especially on older vehicles. Mine was checked two years ago, but clearly this interval was too long. I was lucky, no other parties were involved and no one was hurt.

peedee

peedee replied on 15/08/2023 18:07

Posted on 14/08/2023 20:56 by Navigateur

A sorry state.  What braking effort was applied to the car once it broke free?

Posted on 15/08/2023 18:07

None that I observed. The safety brake cable did not part because the whole front came off. I think one can argue it should have still worked but even if it had there would still have been considerable damage to the front of the car. It is something I intend to discuss with the fitters when I see them and show them the photos.

peedee

peedee replied on 22/08/2023 07:27

Posted on 22/08/2023 07:27

Insurance covered me fully for the car which they wrote off. Money was in my account 8 days after the incident. Full marks to LV, I could not fault them at all over the handling of the claim.

For the time being I have decided not to replace the car. Age is not on our side for continued touring so for the time being we are going to tour without towing a car. We will just have to be more choosy about where we tour and with picking sites. If necessary we can always hire a car but there is only one place we frequent where we might do that.....Cornwall laughing

peedee

Navigateur replied on 22/08/2023 09:52

Posted on 22/08/2023 09:52

Glad it was all sorted without any loss to you.   Still wondering about the whole situation as it may well apply to many other cars being towed.  Have you any comment from the fitters? 

One thing I would querry is using the crash bar for attachment. It is desiged to resist forces coming towards the front of the vehicle, not away from it.  The retaining bolts are parallel to the length of the vehicle so are put into tension when towing but are not high tensile bolts.  They would work better if parallel to axle as they would be in sheer, but that was not envisaged by the vehicle designer.

LLM replied on 22/08/2023 10:23

Posted on 22/08/2023 07:27 by peedee

Insurance covered me fully for the car which they wrote off. Money was in my account 8 days after the incident. Full marks to LV, I could not fault them at all over the handling of the claim.

For the time being I have decided not to replace the car. Age is not on our side for continued touring so for the time being we are going to tour without towing a car. We will just have to be more choosy about where we tour and with picking sites. If necessary we can always hire a car but there is only one place we frequent where we might do that.....Cornwall laughing

peedee

Posted on 22/08/2023 10:23

PeeDee, I'm with LV for a number of things but I have never needed to make a claim so it's nice to hear that your claim was dealt with quickly.  Did they also deal fairly with the payout?  

peedee replied on 22/08/2023 11:00

Posted on 22/08/2023 11:00

Did they also deal fairly with the payout?

I think it was a fair market valuation and I was happy with it.

I did speak to one of their sales staff at the Malvern Western Motorhome Show, the business owner was not around. I intend to email him for a response. He did take copies of my photos and claimed that they did not do Suzukis any more. He also claimed that for each model they do, the fixing method is put on a test frame and stress tested by a company in Liverpool. Hard to believe that was done for my Suzuki.

I did look at an alternative supplier's offering but although apparently a stonger method of attachment, (they didn't use the crash bar) it was mechanical rather than electronic braking and was very heavy to carry around and attach. His lighter electronic version would break the bank and I think it would be cheaper to buy a trailer even if inconvenient to use!

peedee

LLM replied on 22/08/2023 11:16

Posted on 22/08/2023 11:00 by peedee

Did they also deal fairly with the payout?

I think it was a fair market valuation and I was happy with it.

I did speak to one of their sales staff at the Malvern Western Motorhome Show, the business owner was not around. I intend to email him for a response. He did take copies of my photos and claimed that they did not do Suzukis any more. He also claimed that for each model they do, the fixing method is put on a test frame and stress tested by a company in Liverpool. Hard to believe that was done for my Suzuki.

I did look at an alternative supplier's offering but although apparently a stonger method of attachment, (they didn't use the crash bar) it was mechanical rather than electronic braking and was very heavy to carry around and attach. His lighter electronic version would break the bank and I think it would be cheaper to buy a trailer even if inconvenient to use!

peedee

Posted on 22/08/2023 11:16

Good to hear you got a fair market price from LV, thanks.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook