What towing mirrors for 2016 Discovery 4?

Lynne8090 replied on 05/01/2017 20:34

Posted on 05/01/2017 20:34

We have got Milenco Grand Aero mirrors which clamp onto the existing car wing mirrors. These were fine on our previous Land Rover Discovery 3  and Nissan Pathfinder. However now we have a new Discovery 4 and the inside edge of the mirrors are sloped therefore the clamps don't stay on. I'm reluctant to buy different mirrors which would have to be strapped ones as I don't want the straps to risk scuffing the wing mirrors of our brand new car with the straps. Any advice or experience of the strapped ones??

Simpleton855 replied on 06/01/2017 07:47

Posted on 06/01/2017 07:47

As above, I also have the Milenco mirrors and they fit fine on my Volvo mirrors that also have sloping edges.

The clamp has a ball fitting that allows them to secure on a sloping surface, I can`t see any reason why they wouldn`t fit your mirrors as long as you have the same clamps...

ocsid replied on 06/01/2017 12:11

Posted on 06/01/2017 12:11

Been through this when changing a Disco 3 for the run-out D4; the issue is that the latest variant of the Milencos are simply surfaced with a stick on rubber pad. On the fine wedge section part.

They are available as a costly spare but I am finding they tend to peel up a bit in use and I have only had mine since last May.

I found the old blocks work well with a band of rubber cut from a cycle inner tube doing the same function as the stuck on bits of rubber. Being a band holds it in place nicely.

It is very surprising to me how just a bit of rubber increasing the grip makes, but it does very effectively.

ocsid replied on 06/01/2017 13:04

Posted on 06/01/2017 13:04

What I should have explained is the last Disco 4s have different shaped mirrors and Milenco addressed this by introducing the modified clamps, the only modification being the introduction of the stuck on rubber surface.

I got the modified blocks but found I could have simply put a rubber band cut from a cycle inner tube on my old blocks to achieve the same; so I have tried that and it works though the wedge is a bit thicker.

marchhare replied on 06/01/2017 13:49

Posted on 06/01/2017 13:49

We had a similar experience when swapping from a 2012 Range Rover sport to a 2015 model. Land Rover had completely changed the shape of the wing mirrors. Previously we had used a Land Rover branded wing mirror which was perfect for the 2012 car. However it did not fit the 2015 car, so we went back to the Milenco mirrors. Using the car for the first time, I collected the caravan from the dealer and as I drove home, one of the mirrors fell off. I thought that they had been fitted correctly and I even had one of the dealers staff check them for me. After a lot of experimenting at home I had found that if you take off the two wing mirror fittings from the arm carrying the mirror, that these two clamps can be pushed into the gap between the mirror casing and the glass. Once they have been tightly screwed down, I thread the arm carrying the mirror through the two clamps ensuring that they do not move, I only have to clamp the arm and the job is done. I did try fitting the whole thing as an item and I could not replicate the secure fitting. We have travelled many miles with no more drama, but I must admit that I do check both mirrors for movement when driving as I do not believe that they are fixed as securely as the old Land Rover branded ones which had straps that went around the wing mirror casing.

Navigateur replied on 06/01/2017 14:20

Posted on 06/01/2017 14:20

The Milenco mirrors work perfectly on Discovery 4 mirrors straight out of the box.  I have noticed that some users do not fully insert the clamp between glass and frame, so I'm not surprised they then fall off!

ocsid replied on 06/01/2017 16:54

Posted on 06/01/2017 14:20 by Navigateur

The Milenco mirrors work perfectly on Discovery 4 mirrors straight out of the box.  I have noticed that some users do not fully insert the clamp between glass and frame, so I'm not surprised they then fall off!

Posted on 06/01/2017 16:54

As has been said Land Rover changed the Disco 4's' mirrors, I thought for the 2016 Model Year, but there abouts.

The then Milenco mirrors were far from a reliable fit though had been up to Land Rovers change. Milenco realised that and modified their product to incorporate a high friction rubber surface. Even by May last year I struggled to find the modified ones in stock, though having spoken to Milenco I was aware they were available. I ended up getting the new clamps as spares and switching over.

So be careful if buying you get the latest version as the older ones don't fit correctly out of the box, on MY 2016 Disco 4 s.

. Milenco might help you get the spares if you need them, they realise the problem.

IMO the Grand Aeros  work the best on a vehicle this size, I have both but now use just the Grands even though in the shop they look oversized.

Tirril replied on 06/01/2017 21:12

Posted on 06/01/2017 21:12

My Discovery 4 is older than yours so the fitting may be different. I have the same mirrors which fit best at the bottom of the car wing mirror rather than along the top edge. You will have to unscrew the extension mirrors tube and re-attach the mirrors the opposite way on but it is a simple job. One thing to watch if you attach them to the base edge is that the extension  fittings could touch the car door if you let the car mirrors auto fold in when locking.

I always use a restraint strap which you can buy from most caravan stockists as a back up to the mirror clamps.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook