Recent caravan service and problem

itsmick replied on 15/04/2024 16:41

Posted on 15/04/2024 16:41

I recently had my 2016 Coachman VIP 575 serviced, everything ok until the mobile engineer came to remove the nearside wheel hub to check the brakes, hub stuck, no way it could be removed no matter how he tried. Boy did he try. Only thing to do he said, " Order a hub puller and I'll be back when I get it".

He came back today with a the puller and another engineer, hub duly removed but lo and behold the bearing was, for another word, knackered. No matter what they tried there was no way that bearing was moving. Sorry, engineer said, looks like we've got to replace the hub stub, I'll order one and get back to you. Later a phone call from engineers office, bad news, they said, Alko don't do that hub stub anymore, it needs industrial torque to get it off the axle, it's got to be a new axle. Quote for repair £2500, pay that or I have to scrap the caravan as it is certainly not roadworthy. No one has heard of this before, not any of the engineers, the owners of the mobile service company not anybody they have spoken to.

I cannot understand a company like Coachman using this type of fitting on their caravans if they knew that this could happen. 

I would appreciate any comments anybody has got about my story especially from any representatives from Coachman or Alko.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

itsmick replied on 16/04/2024 09:15

Posted on 16/04/2024 09:15

Re my storhub stub should say stub axle, I think I was still in shock when I posted this article

DavidKlyne replied on 16/04/2024 09:57

Posted on 16/04/2024 09:57

A few years ago I think some Bailey caravans experienced problem with axles and a few had to be changed? Have you thought about contacting Al-Ko direct? They might be able to offer some advice, I don't know how long the warranty is on an axle?

David

flatcoat replied on 16/04/2024 10:31

Posted on 16/04/2024 10:31

Blimey! Never heard of this before however it cannot be limited to Coachman vans. It does question the quality of the previous service too….., have you Google searched the problem? However before you get too despondent I would also try caravan breakers for a used axle. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook