Leaving club

jcal replied on 03/05/2021 11:40

Posted on 03/05/2021 11:40

thinking of leaving cub since booking system change to year in advance  the sites we like are booked up for next year i am still working so need weekends now its impossible to get them .   i know people who are making several  bookings then picking which to cancel near the time .the system is flawed i am leaving have been a member a lot years

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

Takethedogalong replied on 08/05/2021 11:44

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:20 by JVB66

Probably , but then we may have been out as well ,were you at FM ? 

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:44

Yes, East Side. You arrived night before we left. I was going to wave across road😁

Small Private Sites is a Sticky in the UK Touring section, some nice Sites in there, some to fill a gap if no Club Site around. 👍

JVB66 replied on 08/05/2021 11:55

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:44 by Takethedogalong

Yes, East Side. You arrived night before we left. I was going to wave across road😁

Small Private Sites is a Sticky in the UK Touring section, some nice Sites in there, some to fill a gap if no Club Site around. 👍

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:55

Sorry missed your post, frown  we leave next Wed ,going to Ashridge Farm site 

Not familiar with other than club sites we go to other places when others we meet up do not belong to this club  advise us when they ask us, just thought as no advertising on CT we do not

Takethedogalong replied on 08/05/2021 11:59

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:59

There are some very nice Sites in that Sticky thread, all are recommended by someone who has used them. Range from quite basic, to very good facilities. Worth a look to fill a gap maybe👍

DavidKlyne replied on 08/05/2021 15:20

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:20

I mentioned a few days ago that I was looking to book a couple of sites in early July and had managed to book odd days and was willing to wait to fill the missing days. I have been trying everyday and did manage to pick up on a missing day already. However today when I went on I noticed there was a complete week free the following week so booked that and cancelled the odd days. This meant I had the also change the site we were going to prior to our week long stay. Managed to get the day before the seven day stay but would have preferred two so will start all over again to get the extra day. It won't be a major problem if we don't get it. Strangely the site I want to book and extra day has availability for everyday of the month except the day I want, sods law me thinks!!!

David

JVB66 replied on 08/05/2021 15:27

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:20 by DavidKlyne

I mentioned a few days ago that I was looking to book a couple of sites in early July and had managed to book odd days and was willing to wait to fill the missing days. I have been trying everyday and did manage to pick up on a missing day already. However today when I went on I noticed there was a complete week free the following week so booked that and cancelled the odd days. This meant I had the also change the site we were going to prior to our week long stay. Managed to get the day before the seven day stay but would have preferred two so will start all over again to get the extra day. It won't be a major problem if we don't get it. Strangely the site I want to book and extra day has availability for everyday of the month except the day I want, sods law me thinks!!!

David

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:27

I have also noticed when we have tried to book club sites ,one or two maybe days show full and they are not weekends!?or sites with midweek discountssurprised

ScreenNameE61470E60D replied on 27/06/2021 19:06

Posted on 27/06/2021 19:06

I have to agree with the post that started this thread, we`ve been members for 3 years and don`t want to book a year in advance. We mostly go midweek but like to take the grandchildren for weekends now and again. I sometimes wonder why I pay membership and are then not able to make a booking a month or two in advance. I`m finding myself using private sites more than club sites.

Maybe I`m biased but I was self employed for over 25 years and would never have lasted if it wasn`t for deposits, there will always be genuine cases to cancel, but it annoys me to see sites fully booked then if the weather doesn`t look too good for the weekend there becomes availability on a Wednesday !! What if we get a really poor summer, we do live in the UK ??

Not pretending to know the answer that will please everyone, should the club do some sort of poll ??

Do members want deposits, should a member be allowed a couple of cancellations before being charged, should you pay a cancellation fee with your membership, I certainly don`t know the answer but I`n sure someone does !!

Tinwheeler replied on 27/06/2021 19:31

Posted on 27/06/2021 19:31

No, I don’t think they found. You can see various opinions in this thread and elsewhere, including questions asked at the AGM.

Basically, if the club's USP isn’t working for you, there’s little point in remaining a member. However, there is no need to book a year in advance for most sites and dates.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook