Cool reception this year for motorhomes

Lanjomass replied on 15/07/2022 15:36

Posted on 15/07/2022 15:36

Went down to West Bay in Dorset with my grandaughter for the first time this year. Was aware that parking costs had risen significantly  earlier in the year. It appears that a lot of other changes were also made. There is now only one car park that allows parking by any vehicle which has been modified for sleeping or cooking, so all motor homes or camper vans. There are 15 designated spaces for vehicles less than 6m in length. If you are over 6m you have nowhere to park at all. All other parking areas and car parks clearly state no motorhomes which are clearly defined as above  on all notice boards. Just a heads up for anyone who has enjoyed a day out in previous years. I live 2 miles away in Bridport but will sadly be taking my money elsewhere. 

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

mickysf replied on 23/07/2022 10:30

Posted on 23/07/2022 10:20 by cyberyacht

Following on from Rufs comments on Fareham & Gosport parking, I have noticed that, since parking fees have been introduced at Portchester Castle car parks, there are fewer cars there now.

It has also had the 'collateral damage' effect of charging people who attend the parish church which is situated within the castle grounds. It is also going to impact members of the adjacent sailing club who, in the winter months, park their cars there  for longish periods whilst working on their boats.  It's impacted more on the local community than it has visitors. If I'm heading there, it's walking distance but for many it's an unwelcome development.

Posted on 23/07/2022 10:30

Can the authority not provide locals with free pass certificates to display in their vehicles. We have them in our town although they only apply to certain car parks and on road parking places.

Rufs replied on 23/07/2022 10:59

Posted on 23/07/2022 10:30 by mickysf

Can the authority not provide locals with free pass certificates to display in their vehicles. We have them in our town although they only apply to certain car parks and on road parking places.

Posted on 23/07/2022 10:59

not aware of any such scheme in our area and some dog walking friends have bought an annual pass that covers most car parks, if such a scheme was in place they would know.

agree with CY, what has been introduced does have some detremental affects for the local population, I am lucky in that i can still walk and cycle reasonable distances so no need to drive to the beach, however, our old dog is now struggling with walks and whereas we would consider driving to a beach car park and then walking we now park at a friends house and then walk him, swings and roundabouts,

I would have preferred some sort of half way house, but we could not continue as it was, we were being pushed out by more and more MH's/camper vans, in many cases people call them MH's but they are nothing more than a transit van with a mattress thrown in the back, obviously, because beach side parking was free, and most of the car parks allowed a 48-72hrs stay depending on the time of year. 

It will be interesting to see how much revenue the council take in from introducing parking fee's, substantial I would have thought even though the area is normally quite quiet during the winter months, although i have seen queues at the ice cream shop in December.

cyberyacht replied on 24/07/2022 12:26

Posted on 24/07/2022 12:26

There was parking in the most improbable spots at the bottom of Castle Street this morning rather than pay for the car park. Don't know if it was visitors or disgruntled locals. By its very nature a lot of the houses down there don't have off street parking.

Takethedogalong replied on 25/07/2022 10:35

Posted on 25/07/2022 10:35

I think it’s happening all over to be honest, wherever visitors of one sort or another come to do something, and need to park up. We live close to our big park, and the town’s Rugby Club, and have had decades of silly parking to contend with. The park issue has been mostly solved as they have made what used to be tennis courts into a very large car park, and moved the tennis courts further into the park. But the Rugby Club (and they have been a Premier team) has no car park, so on match days it can be bedlam. All but our little street is now double yellow lines, which has pushed things a bit further out. Council have tried to get local residents to sign up to accept permit parking a few times, but as they want to charge, no one is happy with this, not as you only get one permit and everyone on our little street has at least two vehicles.

Overnighting in big outfits is even worse of course, brings a lot more issues. Some places have it well sorted, shining example for us is Kircudbright, but others just end up penalising everyone, including local folks. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook