2024 Monthly Open and Closed CL List

CLMaddie replied on 12/02/2024 17:56

Posted on 12/02/2024 17:56

Hi All,

This sticky will provide the list of any CL sites which have opened or closed from the previous month in 2024.

All of these will appear in the monthly magazine as well but this will show 2 months later.

I will provide a link to any new CL sites and list them as 'County - Listing Town - CL site'. We now have a dedicated page on the website which will show the most recently opened CL sites and will be updated monthly.

If you have any questions please comment in this discussion and I will get back to you.

Thanks Maddie

nelliethehooker replied on 04/04/2024 20:26

Posted on 03/04/2024 21:53 by DavidKlyne

Nellie

You, more than most, use a lot of CL's. Do you get any sense from your various visits why CL's are closing?

David

Posted on 04/04/2024 20:26

David, I would think that there are many different reasons, although quite a few have been able to enlarge and become small commercial sites. The club used to give a reason for the closures but obviously no longer do that, possibly to deter members from using those sort of sites in place of CC sites. Quite a few of the sites have been around for a long time, run by elderly oners, and are in need of upgrading to meet the requirements of the new CL users, who want them to be miniature copies of club sites, the cost of which could well be prohibitive. 

I have not yet checked through the latest list to see what those that have gone had to offer, but will do so in the next day or so, and see if anything stands out.

Wherenext replied on 05/04/2024 16:01

Posted on 05/04/2024 16:01

I"ve kept n eye on those ones that ceased to be CLs that I have stayed at and I would say that the majority of closures were, as Nellie alluded to, run by elderly owners who have either given up for health reasons or financial ones, as they tended to be at the lower end of the price range.

Of course unless you've been able to ask them one is never quite sure as to the reasons.

We stayed at a CL called Roxton, in September 2022. It was a lovely old fashioned type of CL, been open donkeys years by an elderly couple. Talking to them they said they were finding the physicality of keeping the site clean and well kept (they had a lot of overhanging trees) to be a Herculean task, coupled with increases in almost all overheads that they would call it a day soon. And they have. Sometimes the effort of it all just becomes too great.

Takethedogalong replied on 06/04/2024 20:05

Posted on 14/02/2024 20:26 by nelliethehooker

Tda, I see that another of your recommended sites closed late last year, Rectory Farm, Bampston. It now only has seasonal pitches.

Posted on 06/04/2024 20:05

Missed this Nellie, so thank you. I suspect they have given up on the CL area, which was separated, lots of folks stored their vans there, and the owners put them onto and off pitches. Lovely site.

Takethedogalong replied on 06/04/2024 20:10

Posted on 03/04/2024 12:13 by Wherenext

Thanks Maddie.

Good to see Wortley Hall back on the CL circuit. Not that many in the area.

Posted on 06/04/2024 20:10

That is good news 🤩 Lovely site, and a good location for us. Last time we were there, they seemed committed to the glamping idea, so be interesting to find out why decision has changed, but meantime we can highly recommend it. Not that many CLs close to where we are.

nelliethehooker replied on 06/04/2024 21:24

Posted on 06/04/2024 21:24

David, I have done a quick check through the last list from Maddie and although I can't find anything about some of the I have found out the following.

The Old Stables, Winborne - the property is up for sale.

Elm Lodge and Samara, Hornsea - they are now both small commercial sites

Vurlands Farm, Bridport - now it is an Animal Farm open to the public, probably can do without the CL and use the land for other purposes.

Pen y Groes, Newport - seems to have gone to join the C&CC!

Oxton Hall Hideaway, Southwell - now on Pitchup.com

Rivermede, Uttoxeter - Has guesthouses so again can do without the bother of running a CL.

As I said before there are many different reasons why so many are closing.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/04/2024 00:00

Posted on 03/04/2024 12:13 by Wherenext

Thanks Maddie.

Good to see Wortley Hall back on the CL circuit. Not that many in the area.

Posted on 07/04/2024 00:00

Wished they make up their mindswink I have just added my review back onto my website. It's idle curiosity on my part but I wonder what changed? It's a lovely CL so good to see it back.

Nellie, thanks for the info re the closed CL's

David

nelliethehooker replied on 07/04/2024 21:11

Posted on 07/04/2024 21:11

No problem, David. If I find time I see what I can find out about previously closed sites.

I have just checked the number of CLs now open and after the much vaunted >2200 the total has dropped to 2142 as of today!!surprised

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook