Just to say thank you

JoJo9 replied on 27/06/2022 16:17

Posted on 27/06/2022 16:17

After owning a caravan for 22 years we have decided it's time to give up. We usually had five or six trips away each year and, apart from a few commercial sites, have  used certificated locations. I can count on one hand the sites which we would not have returned to for various reasons including unfriendly owners. But looking back we have met so many owners who really go the extra mile to make people feel welcome. I think these sites offer tremendous value for money and fully understand the need for increased charges this year. I must mention our three favourite sites which we have returned to frequently. Fir Trees near Pateley Bridge which turned out to be our final trip, Campney Grange near Woodhall Spa and Brandon Ford near Powburn in Northumberland. Each site provided exactly what we looked for, peace and quiet, great views, well kept grounds and very friendly owners. So the end of an era. We will miss the caravan but as we get older cottage holidays will be an easier option. So once again thank you to all the site owners who have welcomed us over the years.

Wherenext replied on 27/06/2022 19:28

Posted on 27/06/2022 19:28

Nice of you to come on and with a lovely sentiment to thank the owners as well.

We've stayed at Firtree and I see that they've made the pitches hardstanding. You've reminded me to pay a visit again.

I fully agree with your comments and also with your experience of CL owners. By and Large a very decent bunch without whom our pleasure would be diminished.

Enjoy your holiday cottages. We tend to go to 2 or 3 a year taking my Mother-in-Law in tow. Might think about taking her to Firtree now that you've jogged my memory.smile

richardandros replied on 28/06/2022 06:43

Posted on 28/06/2022 06:43

Totally agree with your sentiments JoJo and we also have our three favourite sites where the owners have become friends over the years - Thornthorpe CS, near Malton, High Breame CL near Flamborough and of course, Skybarn Farm CL just outside Lincoln. I think it's the fact that we're always made so welcome that make these sites special. As you say, it's the fact that the owners actually do everything possible to make your stay as enjoyable as possible that stands out.

Contrast that with a small commercial site we stayed on recently (which used to be a CS) - in the Cotswolds - where the owner walked passed me three of four times during the two days we were there and never even spoke.  Only contact we had was as we were leaving and got a half-hearted wave and "hope you enjoyed your stay" as we drove away.  Won't be going there again!!

Cherokee2015 replied on 30/06/2022 21:20

Posted on 27/06/2022 16:17 by JoJo9

After owning a caravan for 22 years we have decided it's time to give up. We usually had five or six trips away each year and, apart from a few commercial sites, have  used certificated locations. I can count on one hand the sites which we would not have returned to for various reasons including unfriendly owners. But looking back we have met so many owners who really go the extra mile to make people feel welcome. I think these sites offer tremendous value for money and fully understand the need for increased charges this year. I must mention our three favourite sites which we have returned to frequently. Fir Trees near Pateley Bridge which turned out to be our final trip, Campney Grange near Woodhall Spa and Brandon Ford near Powburn in Northumberland. Each site provided exactly what we looked for, peace and quiet, great views, well kept grounds and very friendly owners. So the end of an era. We will miss the caravan but as we get older cottage holidays will be an easier option. So once again thank you to all the site owners who have welcomed us over the years.

Posted on 30/06/2022 21:20

Campney Grange is also one our favourites - in fact we’re there next week for 1940s weekend at Woodhall Spa.   Not sure if you’ve been recently and are aware that Ivor sadly passed away at the beginning of the year.    He will be missed as he was quite a character. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook