Laggan CL, Scotland

DavidKlyne replied on 22/08/2022 14:28

Posted on 22/08/2022 14:28

It seems a very well equipped CL and clearly a lot of money has been spent on creating it so I don't see the price as a problem. For us though I suspect it's not quite in the right place which would probably rule it out.

David

harryb replied on 22/08/2022 18:32

Posted on 22/08/2022 09:41 by Tammygirl

It's not just me then. 

I don't mind the metered electricity but not on top of £20 pitch fee.  It does look to be a nice clean and tidy newly H/S site though. 

I've been looking round at CLs a fair bit this year and lots of them seem to have increased their prices by £5+ per night one I saw by £9. 

North East England £25+ and that's before the electricity rise,  no shower or toilet. £20+ for just grass pitches no facilities. 

To be honest some of the club non facility sites are cheaper than some CLs 😲 never thought I would say/write that. 

Posted on 22/08/2022 18:32

Needing to use cl's now, like yourself, I've been looking around a lot myself. We are looking at The Gower for next month. From ten possibles six are over £20, the dearest being £25 the cheapest £12 I doubt that will be the same now as it was in 2019. Only one site has toilet/showers so overall it's an expensive area. No doubt decisions will have to be made. Interesting to note one says the approach is tidal (ferry not included laughing)

We are to stop on the way down at Aberbran, Brecon which is a basic facility site for £17 per night. Trouble is these sites are few and far between

harryb replied on 22/08/2022 18:37

Posted on 22/08/2022 14:28 by DavidKlyne

It seems a very well equipped CL and clearly a lot of money has been spent on creating it so I don't see the price as a problem. For us though I suspect it's not quite in the right place which would probably rule it out.

David

Posted on 22/08/2022 18:37

Interestingly David the owner told the story of it's construction on FB groups. Keeping people informed  through progress with photos. That was quite a clever ploy as people were eager to see and attend the end result. Then the objections came in unfortunately.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/08/2022 21:13

Posted on 22/08/2022 18:37 by harryb

Interestingly David the owner told the story of it's construction on FB groups. Keeping people informed  through progress with photos. That was quite a clever ploy as people were eager to see and attend the end result. Then the objections came in unfortunately.

Posted on 22/08/2022 21:13

Harry

Yes, I remember seeing them, almost ad nauseam! I think Facebook is used for that method of promotion quite a lot.  The upside, depending on how you look at it, is that it could encourage more people to try CL's? Some might need to be encouraged to break the umbilical cord to full fat campsites?

David

nelliethehooker replied on 22/08/2022 21:32

Posted on 22/08/2022 18:32 by harryb

Needing to use cl's now, like yourself, I've been looking around a lot myself. We are looking at The Gower for next month. From ten possibles six are over £20, the dearest being £25 the cheapest £12 I doubt that will be the same now as it was in 2019. Only one site has toilet/showers so overall it's an expensive area. No doubt decisions will have to be made. Interesting to note one says the approach is tidal (ferry not included laughing)

We are to stop on the way down at Aberbran, Brecon which is a basic facility site for £17 per night. Trouble is these sites are few and far between

Posted on 22/08/2022 21:32

We too like to use the non-facility club sites, including Aberbran.

I can recommend Stembridge CL on the Gower, having used a few times.

www.stembridgefarm.co.uk

KjellNN replied on 22/08/2022 23:51

Posted on 22/08/2022 11:54 by heddlo

We booked Laggan, and were prepared to pay £22, although we didn’t notice the metered electricity but that’s fine as we don’t use it wastefully. It’s in an area near where we wanted to be and as previously mentioned there are so few CL’s around there. We like a hardstanding pitch too, much cleaner.  We have also noticed the increase in prices but who can blame them, I suppose they will be feeling the pinch as we all will soon!   Mind you we did balk at a CL in Cornwall (field and a lovely view) at £30 a night, and 50% down payment a year in advance!!! 

Posted on 22/08/2022 23:51

There was mention of metered electricity previously, when we booked for April, but our booking  confirmation said something about that not being the case at the time we would have been there, cannot remember exactly what now.

I do not think their website has been updated yet with any new info, so no doubt it  will all become  clear eventually.

We stayed at Invernahavon instead, nice site, full facilities, and on a trip out we drove past the Laggan CL.  It looked nice, but is quite a bit further off the  A9, so we were quite happy with using Invernahavon instead.

harryb replied on 23/08/2022 17:53

Posted on 22/08/2022 21:32 by nelliethehooker

We too like to use the non-facility club sites, including Aberbran.

I can recommend Stembridge CL on the Gower, having used a few times.

www.stembridgefarm.co.uk

Posted on 23/08/2022 17:53

Nellie, thanks for that. The link is 'Forbidden' same link on their entry on here is too. Reviews sound OK but the dreaded "Road noise" comment put me off.

nelliethehooker replied on 23/08/2022 19:35

Posted on 23/08/2022 17:53 by harryb

Nellie, thanks for that. The link is 'Forbidden' same link on their entry on here is too. Reviews sound OK but the dreaded "Road noise" comment put me off.

Posted on 23/08/2022 19:35

There is some road noise during the day, but we never noticed it at night. In fact I used to take Flyte out for his last walk along that road about 10:00 and was seldom passed by vehicles. It is not what one would call a major road although wide enough for towing, and there are some small villages beyond the site. It is a rural area and the usual farm vehicles and wagons have to use that road .

Try this link, as it does work for me.

stembridgefarm.co.uk

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook