Metered electricity - avoid it!

Dunclair replied on 06/05/2023 19:45

Posted on 06/05/2023 19:45

A couple of weeks ago we visited a site with a metered electicity system. I won't say which club the CL/Cs is linked to and I don't want to identify the site because the owners are striving hard workers doing their best. However:

Before booking I called the owners and asked about the metering system that I had learnt about on the club site. Whilst they didn't lie, they didn't tell me the truth. That was that I had to pay them in advance for electricity. They would then use their computer to put credit on a card that only they could use. One of them then came to the post and put the credit into the meter. I obviously knew how much I had paid but never knew how much electricity I had left. As it happened, the weather changed for the worst so I switched over to gas heating and the next day paid for a lot more electric - well over what I thought we would need.

The weather didn't improve and whereas we would have dealt with that and carried on on a "Normal" site, we decided to leave. The owners gave us a refund of the electricity we had not used but the stress of it all and the amateurish way it all sort-of-worked was just too much stress. Buggered up the holiday really.

My advice: Don't use them. In these times of rediculous power prices I understand why an owner would do it, but the whole pantomime is simply just too much hassle.

replied on 13/05/2023 17:15

Posted on 13/05/2023 16:57 by davetommo

I was when I joined. It’s just a minor thing to me. Caravaner, motorhomer. Who cares? I still call it a caravan and the wife corrects me.😂

Posted on 13/05/2023 17:15

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 13/05/2023 21:13

Posted on 13/05/2023 21:13

Content has been removed.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook