Servicing calls at CLs for Motorcaravans

Biggarmac replied on 18/01/2021 17:08

Posted on 18/01/2021 17:08

In 2020 when lockdown was lifted in July there was a surge of members desperate to get out in their units.  Sites were swamped and in some areas it was impossible to find a site.  Many motorcaravanners who had not previously gone off grid (I refuse to use the term wildcamp) found they had no choice.  I was lucky to get three nights on a CL at Blairgowrie during a 10 night tour. and one night on a commercial campsite in the Great Glen.  On other nights I stayed in Pub carparks where I was able to enjoy a meal, in forestry carparks, on coastal carparks and on friends drives.

The big problem was disposing of wastes and filling with water.  Friends with drives were very helpful, but the problem of lack of the type facilities such as there is on the continent was very evident.

On the continent many campsites allow non residents on to service their units, for a fee.  It could be an additional revenue stream for CL owners to allow passing trade to use their service points.  This would be particularly useful for CLs who are full to supplement their income and to reduce the problems which were seem in many popular tourist hotspots last year.  The owners would need to look at what extra costs they would have for this service and what services they would be able to provide.  For instance how much does 100 litres of water cost on a metered supply?  How much each toilet emptying would add to the cost of sewerage?  How much for emptying a greywater supply of say 80 litres?  For comparison the CCC, on some sites, allow members to use site facilities, empty wastes and fill water for £7.30 (last years price).  That also allows for the use of showers.

This would stop the complaint that one night stopovers to dump and fill are blocking longer bookings.  A drop in facility could be a bonus for both CL owners and Motorcaravanners.

brue replied on 25/01/2021 20:26

Posted on 25/01/2021 18:57 by Biggarmac

Wow what a lot of replies.  After not coming to check for a couple of days there are two many points to go over one by one. Here goes with a few things.

The survey was posted on many motorhome sites, so was not just responses from members of CAMPRA.

There are already aires in the UK.  Some are run by councils such as Craven Council in Yorkshire.  They charge for parking in three of their carparks.  Very little cost to the council, but plenty of extra revenue.  No extra facilities are provided.  Canterbury P & R has a very well used aire.  Information on these places are in the files on the CAMPRA webpage. 

I will contact the CL representative.

There is no way that this would be relevant to most CLs.  It would only be an option where they were able to cater for extra movement of vehicles and would have the necessary personnel to deal with extra people.

Comment was made about what is happening in France.  Many formerly  free aires and ex municipal campsites are now being run by a company called "campingcarpark".  They run a membership scheme where you buy a card and load it with money to pay for the barriered site.  Costs are from approx 8 to 15 euros per night.

For those who said that there was plenty of availability last summer.  I beg to differ.  I was one on many who had great difficulty in finding places to tour in Scotland when lockdown came off in July. 

For those of you who would like to check on the Campra website it is www.campra.org.uk

I will not wait so long before checking on comments again.

Posted on 25/01/2021 20:26

Biggarmac. Regarding sites last summer I think Scotland suffered a disproportionate amount of site closures due to Covid but an increased amount of motorhome visitors? South of the border more sites stayed open and I don't think finding a pitch somewhere was so much of a problem unless heading for the SW counties. But under normal circumstances with all venues open including rallies and festival sites would you really need extra CL provisions to keep you on the road or is it just a preference for not using sites by certain individuals?

replied on 25/01/2021 20:39

Posted on 25/01/2021 20:39

Content has been removed.

Biggarmac replied on 25/01/2021 20:58

Posted on 25/01/2021 20:26 by brue

Biggarmac. Regarding sites last summer I think Scotland suffered a disproportionate amount of site closures due to Covid but an increased amount of motorhome visitors? South of the border more sites stayed open and I don't think finding a pitch somewhere was so much of a problem unless heading for the SW counties. But under normal circumstances with all venues open including rallies and festival sites would you really need extra CL provisions to keep you on the road or is it just a preference for not using sites by certain individuals?

Posted on 25/01/2021 20:58

You are right in saying that the problems were compounded by many sites not opening in Scotland last summer particularly around the NC500.  This summer we will have many of the people who are usually on the continent as they will not be able to do their usual long tours being limited to 90 days in 180.  Others say they will not feel safe to go abroad.  The sales of motorhomes and caravans have been one of the growth industries.  Glastonbury has been cancelled so we will have the festival tent campers who were blamed for much of the "dirty camping " in 2020.  The total camping market will all be looking for somewhere to stay.  Caravanners and tent campers need the facilities which campsites and rallies provide.  Motorcaravanners can manage for 3-4 days without taking up scarce campsite provision.  Making more facilities available for self sufficient motorcaravans helps the whole market.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 25/01/2021 21:00

Posted on 25/01/2021 21:00

replied on 25/01/2021 21:06

Posted on 25/01/2021 21:06

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook