Site Directory 2021/22 and OS references

Wherenext replied on 26/01/2020 13:53

Posted on 26/01/2020 13:53

When the current SD came out there was quite a furore over the lack of O.S.Grid References in the CL section. The club gave the lack of space as a reason stating that Sat Nav references were more pertinent in this day and age.

Well why can't we have both?

If you troll through the CL sections on any given page most of the CLs will make reference to having Coarse and/or Game Fishing within 5 miles. If you count the spacing that this information takes up it comes to 48 character spaces. Can someone tell me what is wrong with using the symbols that are used for CAMC sites and putting them with the other symbols used to describe the CL? I know that the site symbol is used to inform about fishing within 5 miles and the CL is used for site but the vast majority of CLs do not have fishing directly on their site. So if the CL wishes to inform you they have fishing on site then they can tell you, maybe by introducing, say, a tick next to the symbol.

This would free up an awful lot of space and we could have the OS references back and the fishing folk would still be kept informed.

As an aside I have never seen anyone in all of my caravanning years go off fishing, cleaning fishing tackle or talk to me about fishing whilst on a CL (except on 2 CLs which happened to have fishing lakes). So, without denigrating fishing in any way, why does fishing get special treatment over say walking or cycling or birdwatching etc.? Why the need to mention it? Us a symbol like you do for beaches or nature etc.etc.

Anyway, hopefully someone who is responsible for producing the S.D. might just have a think about it and gauge opinion.

Note to Mods - I have put this topic in the C.L. section rather than Club Products as I think more members who are interested in O.S. references for CLs will find it here.

Navigateur replied on 04/02/2020 14:10

Posted on 04/02/2020 14:10

Field numbers do exist, but they are a different thing entirely.  I don't think they would be much use to anyone on a national scale, so perhaps through "confusion" the NGR got dropped because someone thought that they were just the same as field numbers.

CholseyGrange replied on 09/02/2020 09:40

Posted on 09/02/2020 09:40

I suggested that the Club look at What3Words as a way of identifying the entrances of CLs, or even individual Pitches on Club sites back in 2018 in an email to the head of Sites and Head of Marketing. 

I reminded them of this new service in an email top the CL team in 2019.  

What3Words is a UK company but it has been adopted worldwide (even by the Mongolian Post Office) and by a number of hotels, car sat-nav companies and by many of the UK Emergency Services as a way of identifying an exact (3Mx3M square) location.

It has some drawbacks, but is becoming increasingly widely adopted and a number of CLs are now using it to guide visitors. Including mine.

Ted Howard-Jones
Farm Entrance Location
https://w3w.co/hounded.swinging.collapsed
Cholsey Grange CL - Caravan Site

SteveL replied on 09/02/2020 10:33

Posted on 09/02/2020 09:40 by CholseyGrange

I suggested that the Club look at What3Words as a way of identifying the entrances of CLs, or even individual Pitches on Club sites back in 2018 in an email to the head of Sites and Head of Marketing. 

What3Words is a UK company but it has been adopted worldwide (even by the Mongolian Post Office) and by a number of hotels, car sat-nav companies and by many of the UK Emergency Services as a way of identifying an exact (3Mx3M square) location.

It has some drawbacks, but is becoming increasingly widely adopted and a number of CLs are now using it to guide visitors. Including mine.

Ted Howard-Jones
Farm Entrance Location

Posted on 09/02/2020 10:33

The system seems to work well and is perhaps more acceptable to many younger users than lat / long. However, it still seems to rely on an internet connection. The beauty of NG coordinates is that they work with or without and are the only ones easily useable with a paper map.

CholseyGrange replied on 09/02/2020 10:43

Posted on 09/02/2020 10:33 by SteveL

The system seems to work well and is perhaps more acceptable to many younger users than lat / long. However, it still seems to rely on an internet connection. The beauty of NG coordinates is that they work with or without and are the only ones easily useable with a paper map.

Posted on 09/02/2020 10:43

Actually Steve, it does not rely on an internet connection.  It will work (once installed on your phone) without any mobile data connection as it stores the grid on your phone and only needs GPS signal (which is independent of Mobile Data).  You might not get a detailed map or satellite view when out-of-range but it can fix a position and guide you.

See this

https://intercom.help/what3words/en/articles/3579905-does-the-app-work-without-phone-signal

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JBwRxjCq-k&t=3s

SteveL replied on 09/02/2020 10:58

Posted on 09/02/2020 10:43 by CholseyGrange

Actually Steve, it does not rely on an internet connection.  It will work (once installed on your phone) without any mobile data connection as it stores the grid on your phone and only needs GPS signal (which is independent of Mobile Data).  You might not get a detailed map or satellite view when out-of-range but it can fix a position and guide you.

See this

https://intercom.help/what3words/en/articles/3579905-does-the-app-work-without-phone-signal

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JBwRxjCq-k&t=3s

Posted on 09/02/2020 10:58

My mistake, thank you for the info.

Metheven replied on 11/02/2020 12:05

Posted on 11/02/2020 12:05

Anyone wanting a paper version (pdf) to download of 2020 CLs, that include LAT/LONG, Grid Ref and X/Y can download from the link. It is on my Google drive so no nasties.

Link HERE

Can't guarantee there are no mistakes innocent

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 11/02/2020 13:57

Posted on 09/02/2020 09:40 by CholseyGrange

Ted Howard-Jones
Farm Entrance Location

Posted on 11/02/2020 13:57

+1, what3words is genius, without being rude ‘it’s the idiots guide to getting from A to B’ it’s easy, & accurate to 3m’s(10’). I’ve used it extensively, I’ve even had single trees I’ve located using W3W. I’ve used it for a while now & cant fault it CG-good callπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

nelliethehooker replied on 11/02/2020 19:51

Posted on 11/02/2020 12:05 by Metheven

Anyone wanting a paper version (pdf) to download of 2020 CLs, that include LAT/LONG, Grid Ref and X/Y can download from the link. It is on my Google drive so no nasties.

Link HERE

Can't guarantee there are no mistakes innocent

Posted on 11/02/2020 19:51

Not a very good way to search for a specific CL, or even a specific area.

Metheven replied on 11/02/2020 20:30

Posted on 11/02/2020 19:51 by nelliethehooker

Not a very good way to search for a specific CL, or even a specific area.

Posted on 11/02/2020 20:30

Apologies, thought it might be helpful to someone. I'll remove it for you.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook