Well Done Ted

Tinwheeler replied on 23/10/2022 17:57

Posted on 23/10/2022 16:57 by Cornersteady

You have alluded to this before but you're incorrect on a number of levels in my view and insulting as well to those that book for a year ahead?

First it's not just club members that do this, many of those that want to use a campsite, club or not, do it.

It's quite 'normal' in many parts, if not the vast majority, of the holiday industry,  be it a campsite for tents, caravans and MHs, hotel/package holiday, B&B, coach holidays, holiday cottage, cruises, boating holiday... 

It's not a habit as you call it. It is perhaps a necessity if one wants to use a certain site/holiday/hotel... at a certain time. It would be very easy to break if people could be guaranteed a particular holiday (or clubsite) at a particular date but sadly life isn't like that.

You are, I assume, very lucky that you can just go away when you wish and find suitable places, probably because what you like isn't in high demand and that's your preferred touring style and that's great but what works for you may not work as well for others.

But for others, especially those with fixed holidays and/or others to consider and want a particular site do they take a chance and leave it or book something now?

I certainly don't consider I'm in any sort of habit but I realise that if I want a certain site, certain location, with certain facilities on that site to suit my touring style, on a certain date then I have to book.

Posted on 23/10/2022 17:57

Good post, Corners. People have differing needs so find it necessary to book well ahead. School holiday times are obviously a prime reason but whatever drives people to book a year ahead, it’s surely their prerogative to do so as David has demonstrated.

Cornersteady replied on 23/10/2022 17:57

Posted on 23/10/2022 17:47 by

I have just "liked" your post but have to confess I too have booked my UK trips ie to and from Portsmouth.

Having been caravanning for 40 years and never left home without a UK booking it is a hard to break habit even though its often unnecessary and there is almost invariably space on the site I booked.

Posted on 23/10/2022 17:57

You also book/reserve for abroad too David.

On the sites I use it is a necessity to book as they are in high demand, especially as I stay for longer than one night and certainly (like you by looking at pitches available) would not have got my preferred dates and pitch preference.

replied on 23/10/2022 18:10

Posted on 23/10/2022 17:57 by Cornersteady

You also book/reserve for abroad too David.

On the sites I use it is a necessity to book as they are in high demand, especially as I stay for longer than one night and certainly (like you by looking at pitches available) would not have got my preferred dates and pitch preference.

Posted on 23/10/2022 18:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 23/10/2022 18:13

Posted on 23/10/2022 16:24 by eurortraveller

Booking now for next year is a habit that Club members find it hard to break.

Posted on 23/10/2022 18:13

As one gets older the idea of "Winging it"and booking at the last minute is not on our agenda  ,as we like to know we have a pitch now and hopefully,will still not be in the future although probably not  now with this club

brue replied on 23/10/2022 20:13

Posted on 23/10/2022 20:13

Like others we've used the CL Booking website, happy to support such a well designed site and good to see it being supported by owners and users. Well done Ted !

JohnM20 replied on 25/10/2022 08:06

Posted on 23/10/2022 16:24 by eurortraveller

Booking now for next year is a habit that Club members find it hard to break.

Posted on 25/10/2022 08:06

Not a habit. It's called forward planning. A lot of other things in our lives have specific dates attached to them or can be dependant on when we are away on holiday. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

On the other side of the coin, I'm sure CL owners like to have the peace of mind to know, early on, that their sites are going to be used and what their income stream may be for 2023. On this basis I'm sure they welcome early bookings. I bet almost every other CL is already taking bookings for 2023.

CholseyGrange replied on 31/10/2022 11:50

Posted on 21/10/2022 13:29 by DavidKlyne

Well done Ted for being winner of the British Farming Award for Digital Innovator of the Year for the CL Bookings website.

https://www.facebook.com/britishfarmingawards/photos/a.1436820219921001/3323717484564589/

David

Posted on 31/10/2022 11:50

Many thanks for all your kind comments. 

I'm sorry not to have responded earlier, but these days I'm not a very frequent scanner of Club Together and I have been helping rather a large number of fellow CL Owners with their listings and reacting to the award announcement. 

FYI, although once qualified as a programmer (30 years ago) I now leave this to others better qualified than myself.  My role is in Product Management and Marketing.

As I have said in the newsletter that goes out to all the registered users of the service (if they have not unsubscribed);

We were thrilled to win an award at the British Farming Awards for Digital Innovation. Nicola Wetherill (Skybarn Farm CL) and Ted Howard-Jones (Cholsey Grange CL) were there on the night to pick up the award and join other award winners who you might recognise from BBC's This Farming Life.

Our thanks to all the CL Owners who have listed their fabulous sites on CL Booking in the past 18 months and our team including John Clifton (Newton Grove CL) who helps to admin our facebook group, but mostly to you, our visitors and users of CL Booking for your support, feedback and ideas.

With the end of the season now in sight, our newsletter will now revert from a less frequent frequency (probably monthly) but we'll ramp up again in the Spring.  Over the winter period we plan to take on board all the ideas that have been sent in and  - in a collaborative fashion - update the design of the service making it (we hope) even easier to use.  At the same time we'll look to recruit more owners to join (if it suits them) and seek your support to do so.

PHOTO

Nicola Wetherill, Ted Howard-Jones, Emma Gray & Ewan Irvine

Digital Innovator Winners at the British Farming Awards held last week in Birmingham.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook