Brittany Ferries - One Way Bookings

Stato replied on 06/02/2021 14:52

Posted on 06/02/2021 14:52

We are hoping to book a trip to France at some stage this year. In the past we have booked standard return crossings. However this year we are likely to have a bit more flexibility with our dates so are looking at booking two one way flexi fares. The upside, of course, is that we can try and stay longer if we are having a wonderful time. But are there any downsides to booking two individual fares?

replied on 07/02/2021 18:10

Posted on 07/02/2021 17:14 by Tammygirl

Not just border controls, many insurance companies insist on a return ticket purchased before hand or insurance becomes invalid.

Where possible we always book flexi tickets and yes I do book 2 x singles. The only time I book a return ticket is if I am going to get a lovely discount through the club and some vouchars which make it worthwhile. Don't forget that even the club bookings can be amended for a small fee. So do your sums and work out which is the better value, ie pay more for BF direct, use a 'friend' as ET has suggest direct with BF or try the club and see if you can get a discount with vouchars even if you don't use them it can often be worthwhile.

Posted on 07/02/2021 18:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Stato replied on 07/02/2021 18:14

Posted on 07/02/2021 18:14

Looking at the Portsmouth to Caen route I have found the combined deal discount to be very poor this year. In the past I have deals where the cost of the ferry and vouchers was significantly less than the ferry cost alone. This year's combined deal discount on one of my dates was £7 . That makes the vouchers pointless to me. I'll stick with ACSI. 

Stato replied on 07/02/2021 18:23

Posted on 07/02/2021 18:23

Deleted User User - wow, version 10. That is impressive. Like you I will be sticking with BF flexi tickets this year. I'd rather pay more upfront and have peace of mind that I can amend as much as I want free of charge or only lose a couple of hundred quid if I decide to cancel on my own volition.

replied on 07/02/2021 18:36

Posted on 07/02/2021 18:23 by Stato

AnotherDavid - wow, version 10. That is impressive. Like you I will be sticking with BF flexi tickets this year. I'd rather pay more upfront and have peace of mind that I can amend as much as I want free of charge or only lose a couple of hundred quid if I decide to cancel on my own volition.

Posted on 07/02/2021 18:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Stato replied on 08/02/2021 14:49

Posted on 08/02/2021 14:49

Its nice to be planning holidays again!

Reading the small print regarding amending ferry bookings with the Club it states that there will be a £20 charge. Which is fair enough. But it also states that you will also have to pay any operators charges. So if I book a return trip on Brittany Ferries with the club and then want to come home a week earlier (or a week later) does it mean there will be a i) £20 club fee plus ii) the difference in fare, if applicable, plus iii) a BF amendment charge?

Has anybody done this, and if so, was there a BF amendment charge?

eurortraveller replied on 08/02/2021 20:21

Posted on 08/02/2021 20:21

Are you thinking of this situation?  

We were booked home from Calais at 0800 one morning but arrived at 1400 the day before and went to the port. The amendment fees to travel that afternoon were sky high because it was a higher price band. We shrugged, went to the local Fort Lapin campsite, spent the money on a slap up meal at the Cote d’Argent restaurant by the beach, and took the original booking in the morning.

All a long time ago. But it may still apply if your amended ferry is at a higher rate.

Stato replied on 09/02/2021 12:58

Posted on 09/02/2021 12:58

ET - This is our first longish post retirement holiday, ie 5-6 weeks.  There is a very slight chance that we may have to change our plans and come home early due to family reasons. There is also a possibility that we would like to try and stay away longer. Looking at the BF website it says amendments are £20. If I book through the Club I assume this will be added to the £20 Club amendment fee. Either way I can live with that. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't silly money.

Robert62 replied on 21/01/2022 14:29

Posted on 21/01/2022 14:29

Hi Another David,
Yes you can of course change your inbound, but due to this pesky small print you have to pay an amendment fee, currently £20.  I've just found this out today!

I've just done a dummy booking and the price of two singles is the same as one return, so in future I'll always book two singles.

Happy travelling

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook