Checkin time Calais end of June

Ray55 replied on 23/04/2024 09:22

Posted on 23/04/2024 09:22

Hello, we will be returning home from France end of June and thinking of using Camping Le Grand Gravlot at Calais. ( all reviews but one seem to be good ) Very close to the port and maybe a 10 minute drive through Calais town to get there.

We have a 9.05am ferry booked and we know generally they say to allow  2 hours to check in before departure during high season. However, maybe 60 mins other times.  The gate barrier at Camping Le Grand Gravlot is opened at 7am.  Given it is June and not school holidays do you think say 90 mins checkin before departure will be okay ? 

Also if anyone has stayed there are directions to the port fairly good from this site?

Ray

commeyras replied on 23/04/2024 11:26

Posted on 23/04/2024 11:26

Ray. You must follow the advice of the ferry company and not on advice from us.  However, I would split the difference and give myself 90 mins, certainly not less that an hour.  Can't help on the site.  Barrier opening at 7 am not a problem!

Ray55 replied on 23/04/2024 17:21

Posted on 23/04/2024 11:26 by commeyras

Ray. You must follow the advice of the ferry company and not on advice from us.  However, I would split the difference and give myself 90 mins, certainly not less that an hour.  Can't help on the site.  Barrier opening at 7 am not a problem!

Posted on 23/04/2024 17:21

Cheers, yes of course but experiences of folk always welcome.

Ray

Ray55 replied on 23/04/2024 17:29

Posted on 23/04/2024 17:29

Yes, we always stayed at Camping Saint-Louis at Autingues near Ardres. I thought maybe it would be expensive now ( not been since around 2009) but just checked and it would be 24.90 euro a night. 

Appreciate any recommendations from people who have been over more recently. 

Ray

eurortraveller replied on 23/04/2024 20:00

Posted on 23/04/2024 20:00

Reassurance not criticism. 

Recommendation is to park up in Calais town as you said for your last night , to go for a meal at the Cote d’Argent restaurant by the beach , and next morning with two hours to get from campsite to ferryport you will be in good time for departure.

I hope it all goes well. 

Dave Nicholson replied on 23/04/2024 20:29

Posted on 23/04/2024 20:29

I can’t speak for the ferry’s but signage to the tunnel is fine from the site. There’s a College down the road from the campsite and the roads around the college can get congested even at 7.00am so the best and most straight forward route from the site is to turn left as you leave the site then left at the next roundabout. It’s then a straightforward route to the tunnel and, I assume, to the ferry’s. Best to double check with the ferry company re arrival times but June is not a peak season in my opinion.

Ray55 replied on 23/04/2024 21:34

Posted on 23/04/2024 20:29 by Dave Nicholson

I can’t speak for the ferry’s but signage to the tunnel is fine from the site. There’s a College down the road from the campsite and the roads around the college can get congested even at 7.00am so the best and most straight forward route from the site is to turn left as you leave the site then left at the next roundabout. It’s then a straightforward route to the tunnel and, I assume, to the ferry’s. Best to double check with the ferry company re arrival times but June is not a peak season in my opinion.

Posted on 23/04/2024 21:34

Thanks, hopefully someone has stayed here and used the ferry will respond. 

I must look up the tunnel prices . Have to admit never gave that a thought. 

Ray

peedee replied on 24/04/2024 07:22

Posted on 24/04/2024 07:22

I usually stay at Camping Les Erables at Escales which is a 15 min drive from the Le Shuttle and no more than 30mins drive from Calais port. If you want to leave site early, let reception know and they will give you the gate code.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook