France 2024

eribaMotters replied on 05/01/2024 09:53

Posted on 05/01/2024 09:53

I know there are others out there, a bit sad like me and prefer to book early. I've found that for June and September if you want a pitch for a week or more this is often the safest thing to do. If a campervan/motorhome owner spending a few days and then moving on you don't seem to have this problem

I've been comparing prices for June in France, booked through the Club or directly with sites on the ACSI rates. It is not an easy one to work out as on some sites 7 days for the price of 6, 14 days for the price of 10 etc appear. If you can get these offers on ACSI rates, then by the time you add in a booking fee, 2.75% European transaction for your credit card and guess an exchange rate of about 1.13, there is nothing in the price. If you are unlucky they may require an IBAN bank transfer, which is a pain. The advantage lies in the ease of booking through the Club website [if it is working] 

I've found the site we are interested in, 4 star with large pitches, site-wide wi-fi etc for less than £13 a night with the Club.

Colin

eribaMotters replied on 09/01/2024 17:39

Posted on 09/01/2024 17:39

And on that note cyberyacht, booking of channel crossings are definitely worth doing in advance. I booked directly our Eurotunnel June 2024 crossing last summer and one way cost me £191. It is now listed at £274.

Colin

Bluemelvyn1 replied on 09/01/2024 19:55

Posted on 09/01/2024 19:55

I feel that, as a retired couple, pre-booking for the whole holiday, is too restrictive and unneccessary. We have been to France for more years than I care to remember, and never have pre-booked more than a couple of nights for the 1st site in France, and after that, a phone call to the site the day prior, will assure you of the availability of an emplacement. More often than not, they will assure you that it is not necessary to book on their site,...just turn up. We also avoid bastille day (14th July) to the end of August, as French folk selfishly, want access to their own campsites. ACSI is a real money saver and despite making a list of possible destinations, prior to departure, we move on to another ACSI site after 7-10 days. We rarely visit the same site twice, as there are always loads of sites available wherever we go, and, as we have no children with us, we can usually go for 75 days and stay on the cheaper sites which don't cater for families.   

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook