Italien lakes and Venice

Tammygirl replied on 07/04/2024 14:49

Posted on 07/04/2024 14:49

It's that time of year and we are going to try Italy again, having had to abandon it last year due to floods and landslips. 

This year we have decided to travel down through Switzerland and visit the lakes starting with Maggiore. 

Hopefully then we will travel across to Venice stopping off at some of the other lakes on the way. 

We should be in Italy by the end of April. I'm well aware of the German holiday at Pfingst and have the dates for when it will be busy with Germans. My question is how busy will it be in the first 2 weeks of May. 

Also it's been a long time since we visited Venice and we had a car back then which we drove to a big car park and got a water taxi in. 

I'm looking for a nice site where it's fairly easy to get into Venice, we have a Motorhome and would prefer to leave it on site. 

Our intentions for this trip is to not spend long at each place, just a few days. It's more of a taster trip to see if we like it or not.

I'm not a lover of busy sites or noisy sites these days, so it might well be to much but if you don't try you will never know.

After Italy we are heading to Slovenia and Austria, back through Germany then back to Calais.

Would welcome some help with sites, places not to miss, no cities please. Things we should do. 

chasncath replied on 14/04/2024 18:13

Posted on 14/04/2024 18:13

Sunday looking through old photos - found this snap from non-tourist part Venice!

Tammygirl replied on 14/04/2024 20:21

Posted on 11/04/2024 15:33 by DavidKlyne

TG

Here is a map of the water bus routes in Venice if it helps to decide where to stay.  

David

Posted on 14/04/2024 20:21

Thanks David, I think we've decided on camping Fusina. It's right on the water front and can get a ferry across to Venice. 

After that it will be the other side heading towards Aquileia.

We seem to have a plan of some sorts, all we need now is to be on the road and find some good weather. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook