Nice, France

ManVanEd replied on 04/03/2024 15:59

Posted on 04/03/2024 15:59

Hi all, 

I am a complete novice to caravan/vanlife!

I'm picking up my fully converted 'MAN TGE' this weekend and have an upcoming job in Nice, France just a week later... perhaps the perfect opportunity to test out this new way of life!

I'm aware all of the campsites are closed this time of year... Is anyone able to share their experience of off-season vanlife in Nice, and perhaps some secure parking locations that I could look out for? Also any tips on driving to/through France would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

eurortraveller replied on 04/03/2024 16:18

Posted on 04/03/2024 16:18

A secure place to leave a van unattended all day and every day in Nice while you are at work is a big ask. But if you want a campsite which is open there is Camping la Vieille Ferme about ten miles away if you want to try commuting from there.

As for driving across France just head south on a motorway from whatever start point you have in mind. Take care.

ValDa replied on 06/03/2024 06:41

Posted on 04/03/2024 15:59 by ManVanEd

Hi all, 

I am a complete novice to caravan/vanlife!

I'm picking up my fully converted 'MAN TGE' this weekend and have an upcoming job in Nice, France just a week later... perhaps the perfect opportunity to test out this new way of life!

I'm aware all of the campsites are closed this time of year... Is anyone able to share their experience of off-season vanlife in Nice, and perhaps some secure parking locations that I could look out for? Also any tips on driving to/through France would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Posted on 06/03/2024 06:41

Beware of rogue websites whatever you are searching for.  Google often leads you to the advertiser paying the most so always check carefully before you use a service, or more importantly pay for it. 

You need to find out about the Aires d'Acuiel Camping Car, which are throughout France.  They are for motorhomes or self-sufficient campervans only, so if you have a toilet, grey waste, water and shower you can stay on them.  Some actually have quite nice toilet blocks (according to friends who are motorhomers).  Many are just car parks, but others are lovely grassy areas near to the town or village centre.  Here's some information about those in and around Nice:  Camping Cars Aires - Nice and area

You can find them in other towns by 'googling'.

As to driving through France there seems to be two schools of thought. 

1. Get their quick and pay extra (using toll roads)
2. Meander and enjoy real France using N, D and even unclassified roads

Once our children grew up and the toll roads stopped having 'free days' we are of the second.  There are some great free sections of autoroutes in France, but the shortest way to Nice doesn't use any!  We can still get down to our house in the Aude with just one or two overnight stops using the free A75, depending on the time of arrival, and can get down to the campsite where we store our caravan with just one, always using non-toll roads.  But we have plenty of time, and if you're on your way to a job you'll probably prefer the first.

Can't give any more detailed advice about your route, since we don't know where you're crossing, what time you'll arrive, and how long you intend to spend getting there, but if you give more details someone will be able to offer some advice.

Get yourself a toll-tag - various available, we don't have one, but others will give good advice.  Also if you're driving into Nice you'll need a Crit-Air sticker for the low emissions zone. Make sure you buy this from the official French Government website.  There are lots of cowboy sites, which will charge you a lot more, but here's the official one: Official French Government website for CritAir sticker.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook