Noway, Sweden & Finland with a Motorhome - Advice

Snapperpete replied on 08/03/2024 14:39

Posted on 08/03/2024 14:39

In the February mag was a photo by Mark Leabon who's spent 5 weeks or so touring last Oct/Nov and in  the March edition under 'Tail Lights' a set of photos called Norse Course by Malcolm Turner. I was intending a 6 week trip last Autumn but circumstances prevailed so I had to postpone for 12 months. I'd love to pick the brains of either or both of these two members regarding, sites / stopovers, ferries, food shopping, routes  and points of interest etc. If anyone knows these guys could you post them in my direction please. noxidimus@hotmail.com  Cheers, Peter

ps, Or if anyone else has been recently I'd be interested in their advice as well. I'm used to touring most of Europe but never Skandinavia.

peedee replied on 09/03/2024 11:44

Posted on 09/03/2024 11:44

I have not been recently and neither have I been to Finland but did tour Norway some years ago. You can read my notes on the trip >here<. Hope they help and if you have any more qustions post them on this thread. If I cannot answer them others probably can.

peedee

KjellNN replied on 09/03/2024 12:37

Posted on 09/03/2024 12:37

My first thought is that Autumn is not the best time, does depend on what you consider Autumn though.

We have been with caravan right up to North Cape,  via  Sweden, Finland, but that was in July.  The season is short in Norway, many sites are only open May to September, there can still be snow lying in May in some places.

Have to go out now, but will add more later.

KjellNN replied on 09/03/2024 20:43

Posted on 09/03/2024 20:43

OK....just back from grandson's 18th birthday party....in no particular order...

MHs are very popular in Norway, you can stop off pretty much anywhere you like as long as you annoy nobody and leave no trace.

In country areas it is  quite common to find dump and fill facilities at petrol stations, local supermarkets, and at laybys with public toilets.

Similar at larger service areas in Sweden,  there are maps available that show where they are.  Not sure about Finland, but there are plenty of campsites.

Roads are excellent in Sweden, good in Finland, improving in Norway.   Distances are long, so you need to allow plenty of time for travelling, possibly more than you might expect.

Scandinavia is generally expensive, historically especially Norway.  However, at the moment the Norwegian krone has lost value compared to the £, and other currencies,  not sure how that has affected their prices, but will be finding out when we get there in June!     Not taking our caravan this time however.

You will find shops such as Lidl in both Sweden and Finland, but not in Norway.  The cheaper supermarkets there are Kiwi, Bunnpris and Rema 1000.   In more remote areas the Co-op is common.   Choice will be limited the more remote the area, and fresh fruit and veg may not be that fresh.  Stocking up on basics in Germany would be my preferance.

There are deposits on plastic and tins for drinks, these can be substantial, and sometimes not made clear.     Be aware that you will only get your money back in the country in which you purchased the item, often in the form of a voucher to spend.  Do not remove labels or crush the items.  Large shops will have a returns machine.  All very similar to in  Germany.

Credit cards are widely used, especially in Sweden.

There are lots of road tolls in Norway, very few in Sweden .   Get a device you fix on the windscreen to make paying easy, we found a Swedish one was good, they use them on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, also the big bridge in Denmark if going that way.  Some give you a discount on the  charges, and you can register a credit card so they charge that automatically, research the options carefully to see which is best for you.

Midgies, both small and large, are very common, take repellant with you.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook