Rotterdam to Croatia

ClubMember9E6A85E18F replied on 21/02/2024 17:08

Posted on 21/02/2024 17:08

Hello! This will be my first time driving abroad and I’m rather excited/ nervous to take the plunge. We are going for just over 5 weeks between July and August, with 2 weeks booked in Croatia.

I have a route pretty much set for the way down: Meinweg (Netherlands), Europa Park (DL), Lindau (DL), Seebruck (DL), Bled (Slovenia), Krk (Croatia). The Lindau/Seebruck bit isn’t booked yet, if anyone has any better suggestions!

But I could do with a hand for the way back. We have 10 nights to get from Krk to Rotterdam and I’d really like a nice stretch in Austria as we aren’t stopping here on the way down. Any suggestions for a nice gentle route? I want to see as much beauty as possible and ideally travel for no longer that 3-4 hours a day.

Our motorhome is a 6 meter Autotrail panel van conversion, if that helps. 

Sarah 

eurortraveller replied on 21/02/2024 18:23

Posted on 21/02/2024 18:23

Haven’t got a map of your route handy but if Camping Grubhof is close by then you might well be mightily impressed with that site.

Dave Nicholson replied on 21/02/2024 20:55

Posted on 21/02/2024 20:55

Even in July and August you’ll not need to pre-book for overnight stops. get the Campercontact app. There are thousands of Aires/Stellplatz and Sostas available.

We normally have a rough plan of our stop overs but often deviate from it and look at the Campercontact app about 30 minutes before we want to stop. 

I’m sure you will enjoy Krk (it will be hot in July and August). On your return journey I suggest you take the A4 from Trieste and leave the motorway at Portogruaro. Head for Beluno and Dobbiaco. The route will take you through the beautiful Dolomites. When you reach the Brenner autostrada head for Brunico then  for Bressanone then take the road to Bolzano and then Merano. Keep on the SS40 over the Rescia pass to Pfunds. It’s a beautiful route.

A very good overnight stop in Imst is Camping Fink and once again there will be no need to book and overnight or two.

peedee replied on 22/02/2024 10:14

Posted on 22/02/2024 10:14

I have been to Croatia a few times and hoping to return again this year and will be trying some of DN's route for a change of scenery. Last year as part of tour we stayed at Camping Jezevac, a site just outside the town of Krk. The routes I have used are described on Polarsteps here.

An outward journey, do the reverse for your journey.

A homeward journey.

And a return journey  as part of a tour

If you want to read my notes about Croatia click >here<

Have a safe journey, I am sure you will enjoy it.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook