Slovenia

ClubMemberDA78DE0A49 replied on 14/01/2024 15:29

Posted on 14/01/2024 15:29

We are travelling to Slovenia from the UK in May 24 does anyone have any recommendations for a route and campsites on the way? Or does anyone know of a route planning website that they have used before. It's our first big trip in our motorhome.

Dave Nicholson replied on 14/01/2024 17:15

Posted on 14/01/2024 17:15

I use Via Michelin and occasionally Google Maps when planning routes across Europe (Google Maps has never let us down when looking for Urban locations eg campsites) Assuming you’re going via Calais, Via Michelin shows three routes to Bled which is a popular destination. I’d go via Belgium, Luxembourg (a good motorhome Aire (stellplatz) in Remich), then Germany but to avoid roadworks on the A8 between Stuttgart and Munich I’d take a more northern route to Wurzburg, Straubing, Passau then into Slovenia via Austria. (There’s a nice campsite in Straubing near the sports centre). I recommend you download the Campercontact App on your phone for sites and motorhome stop-overs. The popular sites will be busy with campers from Germany during the Whitsun (Pfingsten) holidays in May so if you have a specific destination in mind it may be best to book ahead during the 2 weeks holidays. You will need motorway Vignettes for Austria and Slovenia but you can buy these at the borders or at service stations before borders.

peedee replied on 15/01/2024 07:37

Posted on 15/01/2024 07:37

Google Maps is as good as any for planning routes. I also prefer routes via Germany largely because these are toll free. On the two occasions I have visited Slovenia from the north I have travelled from Germany across Austria from Passau and Salzburg. An alternative route is via Innsbruck and across Italy. It all depends where you want to go in Slovenia, your attitude to paying tolls and what your interests are, if any, in stopping off on the way.

A word on tolls, if your motorhome is over 3.5 tons you cannot use a vignette in Austria or Slovenia, you must buy an electronic toll tag. In Austria it is called a GObox and in Slovenia a Darsgo box For more information on tolls have a look at >this web site<

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook