travelling to lake garda

firmino replied on 22/01/2017 20:17

Posted on 22/01/2017 20:17

hi , we are thinking about taking the caravan to lake garda this year,but im worried  about having to go over any mountains i and a very bad experience going on the A75 millau via duct sickness vertigo and for three days felt like i was moving all the time it was horrible and ruined the first week off our holiday. So before we embark on this journey i want to make sure this isnt going to happen again . poor hubby is trying to  tow a caravan while ive got a bucket on my lap with my head spinning worrying about me not nice  hahah . 

eurortraveller replied on 22/01/2017 20:35

Posted on 22/01/2017 20:35

I am afraid you will have to go over or under the Alps to get there - that's inevitable. Would you prefer the St Gotthard tunnel  to the Brenner pass, or will that be just as bad?  

allanandjean replied on 22/01/2017 22:54

Posted on 22/01/2017 22:54

Hi, if the issue is being up high, and the Millau is about as high as you will see, then I would either go via Switzerland or Germany and Austria.

If the latter then over the Fern and then the  Reisa  pass and not the Brenner.

Whilst they are passes the roads are mostly at ground level rather than up high on elevated sections.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/01/2017 23:36

Posted on 22/01/2017 23:36

The Brenner Pass into Italy is one of the lower passes. It is a beautiful  route but you are still going to have mountains lining the route although he road is nowhere near as steep as the A75. You could use the Fern Pass which would be a shorter route but you will get the impression you are using a mountain road if that would concern you.

David

eurortraveller replied on 23/01/2017 09:00

Posted on 23/01/2017 09:00

DK, But do you think the lady would be happy crossing the Europabrucke on the Brenner route?  Maybe she hasn't seen the photos?  Good wishes. 

DavidKlyne replied on 23/01/2017 10:39

Posted on 23/01/2017 10:39

Good point ET although its 150mts shorter in height and not as long but I doubt that will make much difference to the view from the car. I have always been surprised how little you notice the height of the Millau Viaduct and you might be more aware on Europabrucke? I suppose you could go via the Tauerntunnel via Villach but that would be a long way round. Alternatively as mentioned already the Fern and Reisa passes but it will depend on whether the OP would prefer to stay on motorway type roads. I must admit I was a bit nervous when I crossed the Millau Viaduct and Europabrucke for the first time.

David

Metheven replied on 23/01/2017 10:59

Posted on 23/01/2017 10:59

Last year because the route included places we wanted to visit, and because we had the time so were in no hurry. We entered Italy via the expensive Fréjus tunnel after visiting Annecy, then onto Lake Maggiore and Garda before Slovenia.

Obviously in mileage it is the long way around but it's also void of any nervously high places (that I can remember), and also dependant upon your time limits.

replied on 23/01/2017 12:58

Posted on 23/01/2017 12:58

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

commeyras replied on 23/01/2017 17:20

Posted on 23/01/2017 17:20

It sounds as though firmino was affected by the height of the Millau Bridge so maybe the Brenner would also be bad for her.  We have done the two alternatives to Garda via Austria many times.  I would recommend the Fern Pass then the Reisa Pass neither of which are passes in the normal use of the word.  Fill up in Austria as you approach the Italian border.  No need to use an Austrian Motorway therefore no vignette needed, but we like to spend a few days in that beautiful country en route so usually get a vignette.  The first 2 weeks in June are a German holiday so the Garda area will be VERY busy. You can get to Bolzano from UK without paying any tolls!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook