C&CC closing sites

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2021 19:22

Posted on 16/07/2021 19:22

I read elsewhere that C&CC are closing some sites and cancelling people’s bookings due to staff shortages. Sure enough, it's true and they've updated their website today. I hope nobody here is affected.

C&CC site closures

replied on 14/10/2021 14:24

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:11 by JVB66

I do not think any club sites employ a qualified electrician to remove /replace circuit breakerssurprised

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:24

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 14/10/2021 14:32

Posted on 13/10/2021 21:11 by

When my children were small we had lots of good family time in the "corner of farm fields" but we were paying just a couple of pounds a night for the privilege. I dont think its unreasonable to expect rather more for club prices and however unpalatable some here find it it's a very British thing to be paying premium prices for basic offerings. 

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:32

I don’t disagree actually. I think that folks in this country will pay over the odds most of the time, rather than seek out better value. That’s why our housing market appears strange, why owners and providers of services can, if they choose, look to make huge profits, knowing that some will pay whatever price is put onto something. Same with so called privatised shareholder companies. The gullible British tax payer will mutter and mumble about rising costs, but never thinks to question the huge shareholder dividends paid out by failing companies. It’s an entrenched way of life now for the majority. 

JVB66 replied on 14/10/2021 14:32

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:24 by

It's quite a common practice to have EHU as an option. Its operated  in a number of ways, locked boxes, honesty, central isolation and monitoring of supply from reception or supplying circuit breakers to customers to plug in themselves.  It's also possible to have varied amperage tariffs using the circuit breakers. 

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:32

As posted before there are many scenarios but all at a cost to the site concerned, which in this country on most camp sites I would think, have yet to be costed against what a few my want

SteveL replied on 14/10/2021 14:42

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:16 by MichaelT

Well they will just have to trust us then but its funny over there its not unusual to have someone come and put the fuse in if you pay for electric and I am pretty sure they are not electricians so maybe you don't need a qualified person?

Perhaps on site upgrades some system should be put in place for this provision, not only good for the pocket but maybe helps the environment and keep the club costs down.

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:42

Perhaps on site upgrades some system should be put in place for this provision, not only good for the pocket but maybe helps the environment and keep the club costs down.

Wether it helps the environment depends on what you replace it with. Although solar can be used for many things, it won’t support space / water heating. Therefore if you replace site EHU, which is increasingly generated by renewables, with LPG, I don’t see any particular environmental benefit.

cyberyacht replied on 14/10/2021 14:48

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:48

Most CAMC sites use LPG to provide the hot water, I believe, so whether it is the site or the individual in his/her own LV, there is no difference except that the user of LV facilities might be a bit more frugal.

SteveL replied on 14/10/2021 15:35

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:48 by cyberyacht

Most CAMC sites use LPG to provide the hot water, I believe, so whether it is the site or the individual in his/her own LV, there is no difference except that the user of LV facilities might be a bit more frugal.

Posted on 14/10/2021 15:35

I would assume over time that will change. The government want gas boilers to be phased out as a source of home heating, to be replaced by more environmentally friendly alternatives. Surely similar will happen with future refurbishments and new sites.

Also of course you have omitted to consider the heating of the RV, which is likely to consume a significant amount of gas.

MichaelT replied on 14/10/2021 15:38

Posted on 14/10/2021 14:42 by SteveL

Wether it helps the environment depends on what you replace it with. Although solar can be used for many things, it won’t support space / water heating. Therefore if you replace site EHU, which is increasingly generated by renewables, with LPG, I don’t see any particular environmental benefit.

Posted on 14/10/2021 15:38

Well if I am using solar for all my electric needs there is a huge benefit and if I use site facilities still there is no gain or loss as I will still use the site hot water. 

JVB66 replied on 14/10/2021 15:40

Posted on 14/10/2021 15:35 by SteveL

I would assume over time that will change. The government want gas boilers to be phased out as a source of home heating, to be replaced by more environmentally friendly alternatives. Surely similar will happen with future refurbishments and new sites.

Posted on 14/10/2021 15:40

I also think more on site equipment. including mini tractors will also be batt powered when the cycle  for replacements comes round,  , I watched the Barnsley Farm program and Ruben Owen was using one against a ICE tractor,

SteveL replied on 14/10/2021 15:46

Posted on 14/10/2021 15:38 by MichaelT

Well if I am using solar for all my electric needs there is a huge benefit and if I use site facilities still there is no gain or loss as I will still use the site hot water. 

Posted on 14/10/2021 15:46

Note my post above. You’ve forgotten about space heating. I don’t think you will be using solar for that.

replied on 14/10/2021 16:06

Posted on 14/10/2021 16:06

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook