Changes to site opening

MidsomerMikey replied on 14/09/2023 18:25

Posted on 14/09/2023 18:25

It seems to have come up on other social media that the club is closing (reducing the lengths of the season) on some sites that normally stay open over winter/ all year round Durham,Chapel lane,Poolsbrook are mentioned so far Club feeling the pinch a bit ?

richardandros replied on 21/09/2023 09:58

Posted on 21/09/2023 05:30 by richardandros

David - now I haven't a clue what is going on!  Just checked your link and - once again - Sandringham is shown as closed between October and late April - and the same information, unsurprisingly, appears on the main booking page.  Yet - I have a confirmed booking in "My Bookings" for 22-29 December and my deposit has been taken - so the system must have let me make the booking.

What a shambles! I shall have to ring later this morning to find out what on earth is going on.

If it turns out that it is closed, I can't see us using Club sites any more and Sandringham would have been the only one this year, anyway.

Posted on 21/09/2023 09:58

David et al

I have now rung the Club and it's been confirmed that Sandringham IS open over Christmas and that the list in your link needs updating, although as you say, the map is correct.

However, I owe the Club, Rowena and members on here an apology because I have now realised what I was doing wrong and why the confusion is all my fault! I have been a bit of a silly womble when checking the availability page because I by-passed selecting a pitch type - and it defaults to grass pitches (which I hadn't realised).  Consequently, when I checked, there were none available during the winter (understandable) but that coupled with the 'rumour' that the whole site was closed for a refurb confirmed in my mind that the site was totally closed.

Had I taken a bit more care (as I have done just now) and selected a hardstanding pitch - lo and behold, the site is suddenly 'open' again.

Anyway - lesson learned and sorry for throwing a spanner in the worksembarassed.

Chelty replied on 19/04/2024 12:17

Posted on 14/09/2023 18:25 by MidsomerMikey

It seems to have come up on other social media that the club is closing (reducing the lengths of the season) on some sites that normally stay open over winter/ all year round Durham,Chapel lane,Poolsbrook are mentioned so far Club feeling the pinch a bit ?

Posted on 19/04/2024 12:17

I am sorry Poolsbrook is ending the season on 3rd November.

We have used it regularly for November stays over the past few years (Covid excepted)

Chatsworth is getting heavily booked already, Castleton is a bit further north than we want to be.

There are commercial sites but does anyone know of one in South Derbyshire area that is open in November and has serviced pitches ?  

eurortraveller replied on 19/04/2024 13:14

Posted on 19/04/2024 12:17 by Chelty

We have used it regularly for November stays over the past few years (Covid excepted)

Chatsworth is getting heavily booked already, Castleton is a bit further north than we want to be.

There are commercial sites but does anyone know of one in South Derbyshire area that is open in November and has serviced pitches ?  

Posted on 19/04/2024 13:14

I don’t know them but UKCampsites is listing and reviewing two commercial sites at  Hartington and Belper - both with the facilities you are asking for.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/04/2024 21:27

Posted on 19/04/2024 12:17 by Chelty

Posted on 19/04/2024 21:27

There is the site at Teversal, which used to be a C&CC site, and we can recommend. Here is the link.

https://www.teversal-campsite.com/camping/

Dave Nicholson replied on 20/04/2024 15:07

Posted on 20/04/2024 15:07

We’ve stayed at the Teversal site when it was run by the CCC too. Lovely walks through the land opposite the site that was once Sutton in Ashfield coal mines and is now a local park. Unfortunately the nearby  populated areas are a shadow of their former selves as a result of the closures.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook