Curtain twitchers

OnlyJen replied on 16/04/2019 18:35

Posted on 16/04/2019 18:35

and ....  this is lighthearted and tongue in cheek. Credit to the site management who were excellent but had to "follow up".........

Curtain twitcher

A species of camper mostly found on sites belonging to the two main clubs.

An introverted species, often to be found inside watching television rather than outside enjoying the camping experience or even further out enjoying the outdoors experience.

A species known for being obsessed by rules and absorbed by other peoples activities.

I was on a site for just two days and had two complaints to the wardens surprised

The first "report", this morning, was that we were exercising our dogs on the site roads: It turns out we were observed disappearing down another site access road away from the one on which our units are parked with our doggies on leads. All became clear as we stood, heads bowed, in front of the warden. We had just come back from a nice long walk, Jo spotted someone putting up an awning similar to what she wants for her caravan and we went over to say hello and ask advice. Exonerated by the warden!

An hour ago we had another visit. If we are going to "live" in the camper as well as the caravan we need two pitches. I uttered a deep sigh of irritation. I have been cleared by Grinstead towers, HQ of the authority on high, the Caravan Club ruling elite, that as long as gas is switched off, no cooking is being undertaken and only one hook-up in place, it's all ok, just another awning.

"Ah yes" said the warden, before referring to notes from counsel for the prosecution, "but you were observed plugging in the camper as well"!

Not quite. Whilst we were out for a couple of hours walking our dogs I disconnected the Caravan hook-up and plugged it into the camper to top up the leisure batteries as with my fridge being used as a freezer there's quite a drain on them. Only one hook-up in use. Second exoneration of the day.

You just have to smile and feel sorry for the lesser-spotted curtain twitcher.

Wherenext replied on 17/04/2019 09:07

Posted on 17/04/2019 09:07

There'x nothing wrong with people watching at all Goldie. We do it, I suspect everyone does it. You can't go around with blinkers on. 

I take "Curtain Twitchers" to mean people who sit there waiting for someone to step out of line so they can report them to "teacher".

Freedom a whitebox replied on 17/04/2019 13:00

Posted on 17/04/2019 13:00

Watching shouldn’t be dismissed as a bad thing.

I've been very grateful when some has seen something I’ve missed and popped over and told me before it’s become a problem.

likewise, I’ve learnt a lot from seeing how fellow caravan/Motorhome users do things. 

Think it’s saved me a lot of time and wasted money on buying those must have essentials, that normally end up living in the shed .

Takethedogalong replied on 17/04/2019 13:48

Posted on 16/04/2019 22:29 by EmilysDad

I'm afraid my answer would have consisted of a lot more than 'no' yell

Posted on 17/04/2019 13:48

The Warden was smiling as he came across, he could see our pooches were no problem. I suspect the person who reported us got short shrift.

We people watch. There are few places as diverse for entertainment than a camp site. Quite sure we have entertained others as well😁

Oneputt replied on 17/04/2019 13:59

Posted on 17/04/2019 13:59

Isn’t the term ‘curtain twitcher’ a bit of a misnomer, after all most vans have blinds and very few people have them down in daylight hours😎

Takethedogalong replied on 17/04/2019 14:05

Posted on 17/04/2019 14:05

Dark sunglasses are the way forward, just have to limit the headturning impulse then.........😂

Some Sites can seem a tad like this🧐, but then we appear to be more like this🤪. In fact this is us😁😂

thebells replied on 17/04/2019 18:02

Posted on 17/04/2019 08:39 by Goldie146

I have to admit that I enjoy a bit of "people watching" when we're away. No twitching of curtains though - just gazing out the window, or looking around when relaxing outside (glass in hand).

No sneaky intentions - but living on a farm with no neighbours or people wandering by, it makes a change!

And if others want to watch us (but not when the curtains are closed), fair do's. Or even talk to us!

Posted on 17/04/2019 18:02

Me too!! I absolutely love watching others arriving on site and I will also admit to commenting (only to my hubby of course) on their choice of caravan/motorhome/awning/car/dog breed and even method of setting up😀! I usually conclude that our choice of the aforementioned things are far superior😂!

But I've never yet felt the need to report anyone for not doing things our way......

Broadside replied on 17/04/2019 21:00

Posted on 17/04/2019 21:00

Live and let live, non of us are perfect, most of us just go caravanning /motor homing  just to enjoy ourselves and the fact that we can do that

We all have to tolerate things that we don't agree with, that's life!. Just enjoy and get on with it.   . 

Thornsett replied on 18/04/2019 09:35

Posted on 18/04/2019 09:35

Nowt wrong with twitching, better than watching so many reality shows on TV. It's crossing the line though when a twitcher reports you to the warden without first ascertaining some basic facts.

Lunarcpl replied on 23/04/2019 00:09

Posted on 23/04/2019 00:09

I think an earlier post may have been a dig at me because I commented on the behaviour of some campers on a different topic, and got accused of being a certain twitcher.  

The funniest thing that I have seen is a person looking for non existent dog poo. 

KeithandMargaret replied on 23/04/2019 10:45

Posted on 23/04/2019 10:45

Is the OP – 'OnlyJen' – the same as 'GrannyJen' who has been bringing life to the VW California Club forums ?

Good grief Jen, how on earth are us curtain twitchers supposed to live our lives in the shadows if you keep bringing our grievances out into the sunlight ?

Wardens love to see and hear our views on your foibles, and all the other people shortcomings, and we consider we enhance the experiences and lives of said Wardens.

Where would this Club be if we failed in our duty to stop having the rules flaunted time and again by people using their common sense and they started to enjoy the life of the wide outdoors ?

I'm sat here at this moment watching a neighbouring Club Member taking his cassette to empty it and I've noticed he isn't wearing gloves to do the task.

This is, obviously, likely to lead to an outbreak of diseases throughout the campsite if he touches any public facility after disposing of his waste effluence and I must dash and inform the Warden asap.

Sorry, but must go,

Argus Panoptes (All-seeing)

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook