Nervous about first weekend away... pitch fights

SteveRachM replied on 03/06/2022 11:48

Posted on 03/06/2022 11:48

Ok, so I was reading a thread about how you obtain your pitch on a site and how there was etiquette to follow and realised that I have absolutely no idea how to get a pitch. Naively, I just thought you'd rock up to the site, be assigned a pitch & off you go, but apparently this is not the case. We have booked serviced pitches - how do I know where they are? How do I know if someone is on one, but just gone off site? I'm nervous about all this already, but now I'm terrified that we'll do something wrong & upset people & start a turf war.

replied on 12/06/2022 11:35

Posted on 12/06/2022 11:03 by SteveRachM

We picked her up yesterday and towed back the 45 mins to storage. Everything went well with the journey - just took an age to remember what we needed to do when parking her up, especially the wheel locks! Only 2 weeks before our first weekend away (so 2 weeks of spending money I think!).

Posted on 12/06/2022 11:35

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveRachM replied on 12/06/2022 18:52

Posted on 12/06/2022 11:35 by

Don't forget to look after the battery whilst the van is in storage 😉.

Posted on 12/06/2022 18:52

What do we have to do for this? We switched a button off in the van that the handover guy told us to. The solar panel still has a green light on it. Should we have done something else?

Cornersteady replied on 12/06/2022 18:59

Posted on 12/06/2022 18:52 by SteveRachM

What do we have to do for this? We switched a button off in the van that the handover guy told us to. The solar panel still has a green light on it. Should we have done something else?

Posted on 12/06/2022 18:59

I think you're doing it but depends on the wattage of your SP. We find ours stay heathy enough without a SP certainly for a month or so and even in Winter we rarely go more than six weeks without a trip and there's been no problems. It's when you leave the caravan standing for two three months+ that might cause a problem.

Your caravan will have good heating and insulation so use it all year round

Takethedogalong replied on 12/06/2022 19:05

Posted on 12/06/2022 18:52 by SteveRachM

Posted on 12/06/2022 19:05

Sorry that someone hasn’t given you better information. Basically, your alarm systems will use some of your battery charge whilst it in storage, so you will periodically need to check that battery is charging from solar panel. Obviously, sunshine levels could affect this, so it’s worth keeping an eye on.

We store our MH on our drive, it has a solar panel that keeps things ticking over nicely, but obviously, being at home, we can check it easily. You might need to go to your storage every now and then just to make sure things are ok.👍🙂

SteveRachM replied on 27/06/2022 15:24

Posted on 27/06/2022 15:24

We're back, no divorce either - or pitch fights!! Thanks to all the fabulous advice here, it went well & we met some lovely people - all of whom were willing to help us out. We do however have a shopping list of things to buy (including ear plugs - I had no idea how loud birds were at 4am). It also rained a tiny bit - we were convinced that something was going wrong with the van as we couldn't see any rain outside. Roll on 2 weeks time when we go to Bridlington for 2 nights. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook