New booking system with deposits

JillwithaJay replied on 01/06/2022 15:32

Posted on 01/06/2022 15:32

I haven't seen any confirmation or otherwise regarding this but have just read it on Faceache with a date of 25th June being, allegedly, given by a member of site staff for implementation.

UP TO DATE INFORMATION ON BOOKINGS

We are normally able to book for next June from today.
However this isn’t possible as the website is moving over to deposits in the next couple of weeks.
So at this time we cannot book anything for next June until the system is live.

Cornersteady replied on 15/06/2022 19:48

Posted on 15/06/2022 19:40 by peedee

I expect the Club does not want to publish anything further especially dates until they are confident they can deliver.

peedee

Posted on 15/06/2022 19:48

I agree fully PD but isn't it getting a bit late? It's supposed to be the 25th and it's now the 15th and half way through June. I'm flexible but others might want to book their dates for June 2023?

I suspect it's not going to plan and they can't deliver? 

DavidKlyne replied on 15/06/2022 20:58

Posted on 15/06/2022 20:58

The whole thing seems to be a bit strange to me. The Club clearly wanted it out there that they were intending to change the booking system and there were hints that we would be able to book pitch type but the biggest change was the (re) introduction of deposits. Getting that information out there sometime in advance of putting into operation did allow the Club to gauge reaction from members. That reaction seems to have broken down into three parts. Those that oppose deposits completely, those that don't like the idea but accept it could lead to improvements and finally those that thought there should be deposits anyway. So having navigated member approval or acceptance if became a firm commitment, if indeed that was ever in doubt? What seems to have caused an issue (as always!) is the implementation of the new booking system. Were we not told that it would be the same system as used for Overseas Sites which has been up and running for over a year? OK UK site booking are on a completely different scale to Overseas so not as simple as I suggest. What we don't know is what is causing the delay? Obviously training of site staff does take a while and hopefully will have shown up any shortcomings in the system. What do people think is a reasonable time before telling us that the system is now ready for implementation? Given that its not just about new bookings but also about amending bookings would one month be sufficient or perhaps less if they want to meet the June proposed date? Or would it be better to delay until March of next year when all sites will have reopened, or at least those that close over winter. 

David

brue replied on 16/06/2022 15:14

Posted on 16/06/2022 15:14

The background work of migrating bookings and allocating pitch types is a considerable task to undertake too  so it's not just staff training that has to be considered. 

FreshAir4Us replied on 19/06/2022 21:53

Posted on 19/06/2022 21:53

I have been told by wardens on current site that the club has somehow not worked out a system for taking the deposits so cannot start bookings. Unfortunately some who like to plan in advance may look elsewhere. I wonder if that may already be happening because of the proposed changes or maybe it is just the COVID effect with people now travelling abroad.We have been on 3 sites now well under full capacity and sites ahead with good availability whereas last year they were full and we were checking every day to add extra dates. We have previously only booked club sites because of the flexibility if hospital appointments etc cause date changes. Now it seems sensible to do late bookings for next year  which will make  affiliated sites and others a possibility. 

Tinwheeler replied on 19/06/2022 22:13

Posted on 19/06/2022 21:53 by FreshAir4Us

I have been told by wardens on current site that the club has somehow not worked out a system for taking the deposits so cannot start bookings. Unfortunately some who like to plan in advance may look elsewhere. I wonder if that may already be happening because of the proposed changes or maybe it is just the COVID effect with people now travelling abroad.We have been on 3 sites now well under full capacity and sites ahead with good availability whereas last year they were full and we were checking every day to add extra dates. We have previously only booked club sites because of the flexibility if hospital appointments etc cause date changes. Now it seems sensible to do late bookings for next year  which will make  affiliated sites and others a possibility. 

Posted on 19/06/2022 22:13

I don’t see how the deposit issue can be causing empty pitches at this point as the system hasn’t started yet, as you say. I think it’s more likely to be cost, both of site fees and fuel, along with the general cost of living.

FreshAir4Us replied on 19/06/2022 22:41

Posted on 19/06/2022 22:41

I am sure those points will be strong contributory factors but maybe the prospect of the new system will have led to members looking elsewhere where they previously would have stuck to club sites. We have felt that club sites are costly but worth it for the quality and ease of amendment but the 3 week rule will change our booking habits. 

FreshAir4Us replied on 19/06/2022 22:47

Posted on 19/06/2022 22:47

I should also have said that we tend to travel as planned but the current  flexibility has given us the confidence to book ahead and occasionally have adjusted dates by a few days . If we will be penalised for changes with no option for cancellation insurance going forward we will be likely to do late bookings wherever suits at the time. 

DSB replied on 19/06/2022 22:56

Posted on 19/06/2022 22:56

Deposits are not a major issue for us as the majority ofcour bookings are made very close to the time we go.  However, I have been arguing for members to be able to book a surface type for a number of years now, and I'm pleased that eventually, this seems to be imminent.

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook