New WiFi system

billnk replied on 20/04/2024 16:08

Posted on 20/04/2024 16:08

Just back from our first trip of the new season.  Has anyone found the new WiFi system seamless?  We took advantage of the free one only to find it was dropping out.  As we needed something a bit more stable we paid the £15 and took note that only one device could be used at a time - so the wife disabled her WiFi.  Didn't matter how hard we tried, no connection longer than a few seconds was made. Cue telephone calls to helpline (who said they'd had problems at our pitch already and they'd contact the 'network team' to reboot) several days of trying and we eventually gave up (we only wanted to check something not download any films etc).  An email has gone to camc wifi team requesting a refund, won't be using it again.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/04/2024 16:46

Posted on 20/04/2024 16:46

My only surprise is that you parted with money despite finding the 'free' service to be lacking. Most people who need to rely on the internet seem to make their own arrangements by using the mobile network. You’ll find similar threads if you search around.

Hard luck. I hope you get your refund.

SteveL replied on 22/04/2024 09:28

Posted on 22/04/2024 09:28

Also not had any problems on the free side, apart from the slight faff of getting back on when your hour times out if you are using it at the time. On my pad the internet just stops working with no announcement and you are still connected but with no bandwidth. I find it necessary to tell the pad to forget the network, then rejoin it again. If you have come back to it, after say a day out, there is no issue. It puts up the rejoin screen as soon as you try to go online.

billnk replied on 22/04/2024 11:44

Posted on 22/04/2024 11:44

Thanks for your responses.  It just kept sending us back to the "pay" page, guess we were unlucky in finding a spot that wasn't working well.  No response from camc yet about our refund! We usually use our data allowance but there's one of our apps that only connects via a strong WiFi signal, so we'll have to re-think what to do next time.

SteveL replied on 22/04/2024 12:35

Posted on 22/04/2024 12:35

We usually use our data allowance but there's one of our apps that only connects via a strong WiFi signal, so we'll have to re-think what to do next time.

If you have a pad as well as a phone couldn’t you run the App on that. On the phone when I go to download something I get a warning that I am downloading over a cellular network and using my data. However, when I tether the pad I get no such warning. I have always assumed this is because it doesn’t  know and as far as it’s concerned the 4/5G is just WiFi. As to strength the 4/5G is normally better than anything the CAMC will provide, even on their paid for service.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook