potential new site Lincolnshire

Hja replied on 28/02/2024 21:48

Posted on 28/02/2024 21:48

Possible Belvoir Castle Site

Hope this link works. Article about the CAMC setting up a new site in Lincs, near to Belvoir Castle, which is in Leicestershire. The site is very close to the Grantham Canal.

I haven't looked up what has gone to SKDC planning dept yet.

Moderator Comment - Link Edited

DavidKlyne replied on 30/03/2024 12:15

Posted on 30/03/2024 12:15

Rather perverse that the guy mentioned in the BBC article, John Buxton, seems to be in the business of selling motorhomes! Never heard of his website before but here is a link   One would have thought he would have had a greater understanding of how Club sites operate and the volumes of traffic generated, over a period of a week would be quite small even with a site of that size. OK more traffic at weekends but hardly on the scale of the M1?

David

Hja replied on 30/03/2024 13:01

Posted on 30/03/2024 13:01

There is a huge amount of opposition. The site would be open all year. The surrounding roads are very narrow with scarcely room for two cars to pass. The numbers on the site would be more than in the village. The club did itself no favours at a recent public meeting where, as I understand, they seemed to think it fine for traffic to use the verges for vehicles passing each other, could not explain their figures as to input into the local community and admitted to not have driven around the local lanes or the proposed best route. Apparently various documents have ignored cycling and cyclists, although the are is very popular with cyclists, and of course those numbers would increase with the site. Some of the response is undoubtedly a backlash against Belvoir Estate who own the land and also have events at the castle during the year which do cause a huge amount of disruption in the village. A number of organisations such as the Wildlife Trust and the Grantham Canal Society are arguing for far more detail about areas of mitigation before they make final responses. I don’t think there is a single supportive voice so far!

eurortraveller replied on 30/03/2024 13:27

Posted on 30/03/2024 13:27

I can see why the Duke of Rutland is willing to sell or lease land for a caravan site of this size With admission to Belvoir Castle + gardens standing  at £26 per person and the prospect of hundreds of extra visitors on his doorstep  it will prove quite a money spinner for him. 

I can see too the appeal for the Club and for its well established links with the nobility. This is land close to main trunk roads in various directions,  and a site there will provide a popular stop off for two or three nights for members passing by. It will be well used by Club members. 

I can see too why the locals are unhappy,. There will be a lot of traffic, …but I predict that the Duke of Rutland will win.

peedee replied on 30/03/2024 14:08

Posted on 30/03/2024 14:08

Having looked at the travel plans and some of the objections, and driven along google maps street view, a lot of it seems to be unfounded concern except [pssibly on public holidays.

peedee

Hja replied on 30/03/2024 15:27

Posted on 30/03/2024 14:08 by peedee

Having looked at the travel plans and some of the objections, and driven along google maps street view, a lot of it seems to be unfounded concern except [pssibly on public holidays.

peedee

Posted on 30/03/2024 15:27

Depends whether you use the CAMC route or your sat nav!

Hja replied on 30/03/2024 15:29

Posted on 30/03/2024 13:27 by eurortraveller

I can see why the Duke of Rutland is willing to sell or lease land for a caravan site of this size With admission to Belvoir Castle + gardens standing  at £26 per person and the prospect of hundreds of extra visitors on his doorstep  it will prove quite a money spinner for him. 

I can see too the appeal for the Club and for its well established links with the nobility. This is land close to main trunk roads in various directions,  and a site there will provide a popular stop off for two or three nights for members passing by. It will be well used by Club members. 

I can see too why the locals are unhappy,. There will be a lot of traffic, …but I predict that the Duke of Rutland will win.

Posted on 30/03/2024 15:29

Not sure my money would be on the Belvoir estate. Very unpopular and not in Lincolnshire.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/03/2024 15:49

Posted on 30/03/2024 15:49

Going to be an interesting one. I suspect all those objecting are paying ground rent to Belvior Estate, in some way or other. There’s been a sizeable camping/ caravan site on the land by the Dirty Duck for years. Google maps shows around 40-50 outfits on the land. It’s debatable whether most of the houses in the village would be impacted, as the best route in would only affect the Northern end of the village, beyond the crossroads, not the much narrower roads through the village proper.  (Local residents seem to base their objections on outfits using Sat Navs, which might well be true of casual non Club type visitors currently stopping in the area. Whereas, Club Members are well versed in following the routes given by the Club, rather than Sat Nav) The road from Duck Lane up to the village is quite wide, with a good footpath. Have cycled it many a time, and I don’t do dangerous roads. The road from the crossroad up to Belvior Castle itself is wide and open. I can see pro’s and cons from both sides. Interesting that the Canal and Rivers Trust would ask for better surfacing of canal paths to be a consideration, it is a lovely walk/cycle, and links some very nice villages, with plenty of spurs/ bridle paths off.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/03/2024 16:04

Posted on 30/03/2024 16:04

You have to chuckle🤭 Some of those objecting live in properties currently considered detrimental to the actual Woolsthorpe Conservation area🤷‍♀️

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook