Scotland Aug 2024 - Stonehaven / Bunree

SteveRachM replied on 07/04/2024 09:40

Posted on 07/04/2024 09:40

We're planning a 2 week holiday in Scotland this summer and have so far booked 1 week at Stonehaven and 1 week at Bunree. However we're not sure whether to change this to 2 weeks at Stonehaven as we've been to the West coast several times. My questions are:

1. Is there enough to do around Stonehaven for 2 weeks (we don't mind travelling for days out)

2. If we were to do the 2 sites, are the roads OK between Stonehaven & Bunree (we have a twin axle) - what would be the best route?

3. On the booking form for Stonehaven it says if you have a twin axle read the important information - I cannot find it!

4 If we did go to Bunree, are the roads easily manageable to get home? I've heard (and seen) the road round Loch Lomond is tight.

Tinwheeler replied on 07/04/2024 10:18

Posted on 07/04/2024 10:18

4. I advise avoiding the A82 alongside Loch Lomond and to use the Callender/Stirling route instead. Other than that, no problem with roads but beware of the west coast midges.

SteveRachM replied on 07/04/2024 10:52

Posted on 07/04/2024 10:42 by eurortraveller

1. I would get bored with a two week stay anywhere. Perhaps three separate weeks? 

Posted on 07/04/2024 10:52

That's originally why we booked 2 separate weeks. I just need to find a suitable route between the two sites now...

eurortraveller replied on 07/04/2024 12:39

Posted on 07/04/2024 10:52 by SteveRachM

That's originally why we booked 2 separate weeks. I just need to find a suitable route between the two sites now...

Posted on 07/04/2024 12:39

Route could be A96 via Elgin to Inverness then A82 down to Bunree -about 180 miles.  Although you might decide on a couple of sites on the east coast or two on the west coast and cut out that 180 mile drive. Big country but you choose. 

MikeyA replied on 07/04/2024 13:11

Posted on 07/04/2024 10:42 by eurortraveller

1. I would get bored with a two week stay anywhere. Perhaps three separate weeks? 

Posted on 07/04/2024 13:11

I tend to use EasyT's method  - 5 nights. Nothing worse than to have overstayed in an area because you have paid upfront. 

Tinwheeler replied on 07/04/2024 13:35

Posted on 07/04/2024 13:35

An option could be Culloden Moor for a few nights, or one of the numerous non-camc sites in the area. I’m a fan of C&CC’s Dingwall site.

Tammygirl replied on 07/04/2024 14:30

Posted on 07/04/2024 14:30

We used to use Stonehaven quite a bit in the passed but I don't think I could do a week there let alone 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong it's a nice site and nice town but nothing much to do. 

There is Dunnottar castle then a trip to Aberdeen and that's about it. 

If it was me I'd think of 5 days then move to another site for say 5 days then onto Bunree for the remainder.

Again been to Bunree and while it's a lovely site it's terrible for midges especially in the summer months. Not a lot to do there either I'm afraid as nothing nearby. 

I think If it was me in the summer months I'd stick to the east coast and move every 4 days or so. Then again maybe you are quite happy to sit around the sites and chill out.

Everyone tours their own way, even when we had a caravan we rarely stayed longer than 5 days. However you have a big van and might not like moving on often only you can decide. 

RedKite replied on 07/04/2024 14:57

Posted on 07/04/2024 14:57

Friends of ours who have just come back home here are off to West Scotland July and August in 7m motorhome and will be doing Bunree twice but they are only doing 3 nights max.

KjellNN replied on 07/04/2024 17:06

Posted on 07/04/2024 17:06

While Stonehaven is nice, as TG said, there is not much there to warrant a 7 night stay.  (Not sure why a twin axle would be a problem.)  There is much more to  visit  from the Banchory site, especially if you are National Trust members.    There is also  a good CL near Banchory, with serviced pitches, but my choice would be Deeside Holiday Park, not far out of Aberdeen.  Good facilities and serviced pitches for less than a CAMC site.

I would then use CCC Dingwall, if you are a member, or CAMC near Inverness.

Other than the road down the top part of Loch Lomond, all roads are fine for a twin axle ( we have a T/A).

From Dingwall or Inverness, you could continue down the Great Glen, possibly stopping at Bunree, then cut across to Loch Lomond via Inveraray, where there is a good site just south down the loch from the town, Argyll Holiday Park, and Arrochar .   We have used all these sites.

dunton10 replied on 07/04/2024 18:19

Posted on 07/04/2024 18:19

I’ve done Bunree and Stonehaven albeit on different holidays, a west coast and an east coast tour.

As has been said 7 days is plenty at Stonehaven. We loved the heated outdoor saltwater lido right beside the club site. Also walked the coastal path to the castle.

when you leave Stonehaven consider visiting  the Scottish Borders on the way back to Derbyshire. We found a lovely cl and there are numerous interesting towns to visit and also Roslyn Chapel is you’re a da Vinci code fan!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook