Scotland Aug 2024 - Stonehaven / Bunree

SteveRachM replied on 07/04/2024 09:40

Posted on 07/04/2024 09:40

We're planning a 2 week holiday in Scotland this summer and have so far booked 1 week at Stonehaven and 1 week at Bunree. However we're not sure whether to change this to 2 weeks at Stonehaven as we've been to the West coast several times. My questions are:

1. Is there enough to do around Stonehaven for 2 weeks (we don't mind travelling for days out)

2. If we were to do the 2 sites, are the roads OK between Stonehaven & Bunree (we have a twin axle) - what would be the best route?

3. On the booking form for Stonehaven it says if you have a twin axle read the important information - I cannot find it!

4 If we did go to Bunree, are the roads easily manageable to get home? I've heard (and seen) the road round Loch Lomond is tight.

dunton10 replied on 08/04/2024 15:45

Posted on 08/04/2024 15:45

Sorry forgot to mention that whilst on the CL in the borders we caught the local train into Edinburgh for the day, the Royal Yacht Britannia was well worth a visit if you haven’t done it. Lots of other things to do as well.

If you go down this route and you need the name of the cl just ask.

dave the rave replied on 10/04/2024 18:40

Posted on 07/04/2024 10:18 by Tinwheeler

4. I advise avoiding the A82 alongside Loch Lomond and to use the Callender/Stirling route instead. Other than that, no problem with roads but beware of the west coast midges.

Posted on 10/04/2024 18:40

nothing wrong with the A82!!!! fold your mirrors in as they are not needed on the narrow bits.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/04/2024 18:54

Posted on 10/04/2024 18:40 by dave the rave

nothing wrong with the A82!!!! fold your mirrors in as they are not needed on the narrow bits.

Posted on 10/04/2024 18:54

Really? In my opinion that’s the very place they are needed, especially north bound. 

I and others seem to prefer the sensible option of avoidance.

Alex Cassells replied on 11/04/2024 21:35

Posted on 11/04/2024 21:35

Hi, in our opinion, the easiest ( but probably not the quickest ) route between the 2 sites is via the A9 and Dalwhinnie. Stonehaven to Dundee, Dundee to Perth, Perth to Dalwhinnie, Dalwhinnie via Loch Laggan A86 to Spean Bridge then down to Bunree. Most of the route will be dual carriageway, with some narrower parts around Loch Laggan, but nothing to worry about. We've visited both sites many times and they are both excellent. But as has been suggested, a week at each would probably be too long for us. You could maybe add North Ledaig, near Oban as the start of your journey home. 3 sites, 5 nights at each. All the best, Alex.

KjellNN replied on 12/04/2024 20:51

Posted on 11/04/2024 18:45 by dave the rave
Content has been removed.

Posted on 12/04/2024 20:51

I would be more worried about the oncoming log lorries and tour buses!    They are bigger and sturdier than our caravan, and probably just drivers rather than owners.

I have lost 2 extended mirrors over the years  to oncoming buses, I prefer not to lose the whole caravan.

dave the rave replied on 13/04/2024 19:58

Posted on 12/04/2024 20:51 by KjellNN

I would be more worried about the oncoming log lorries and tour buses!    They are bigger and sturdier than our caravan, and probably just drivers rather than owners.

I have lost 2 extended mirrors over the years  to oncoming buses, I prefer not to lose the whole caravan.

Posted on 13/04/2024 19:58

Tour buses are amongst the most carefully driven.....have you seen the price of a mirror for one plus they are not permitted to continue their tour until it is fixed!Log lorries are a law unto themselves but I have never yet met one on that road.White van man is the worst culprit as the mirrors tend to be at the same height as towing mirrors and they tend to drive too fast around the bends! I have lost 2 towing mirrors over the years on that road (one smashed the caravan window) and that is why I fold my mirrors in as previously stated!

SteveL replied on 13/04/2024 20:27

Posted on 13/04/2024 19:58 by dave the rave

Tour buses are amongst the most carefully driven.....have you seen the price of a mirror for one plus they are not permitted to continue their tour until it is fixed!Log lorries are a law unto themselves but I have never yet met one on that road.White van man is the worst culprit as the mirrors tend to be at the same height as towing mirrors and they tend to drive too fast around the bends! I have lost 2 towing mirrors over the years on that road (one smashed the caravan window) and that is why I fold my mirrors in as previously stated!

Posted on 13/04/2024 20:27

Given that the alternative adds only 9 miles and no time, my preference is to go that way.🤔

SteveRachM replied on 13/04/2024 22:18

Posted on 11/04/2024 21:35 by Alex Cassells

Hi, in our opinion, the easiest ( but probably not the quickest ) route between the 2 sites is via the A9 and Dalwhinnie. Stonehaven to Dundee, Dundee to Perth, Perth to Dalwhinnie, Dalwhinnie via Loch Laggan A86 to Spean Bridge then down to Bunree. Most of the route will be dual carriageway, with some narrower parts around Loch Laggan, but nothing to worry about. We've visited both sites many times and they are both excellent. But as has been suggested, a week at each would probably be too long for us. You could maybe add North Ledaig, near Oban as the start of your journey home. 3 sites, 5 nights at each. All the best, Alex.

Posted on 13/04/2024 22:18

Thanks for this  - we will certainly look at adding another site. We will need a site anyway on the way up to break up the journey, probably Northumberland somewhere.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook