Sites with a pup tent?

Mic8310 replied on 12/12/2023 17:46

Posted on 12/12/2023 17:46

Hi

New to caravanning, got a couple of trips booked just for me and the wife however the kids insist on coming when the weather turns nicer so am looking for a site that i can throw up a pup tent for em. Does anyone know of any?! Based in Berkshire but happy to travel preferably south where the weather is generally better :D

Been having a look on the 'net but its coming a blur now with the amount of websites ive looked at for it.

thanks

Michael

JollyKernow replied on 12/12/2023 18:12

Posted on 12/12/2023 18:12

Hi

You're welcome to put up a pup tent for the kids to sleep in on any of our club sites. Just make sure you book a standard pitch with awning. You don't need to have an awning but those pitches are bigger and will accommodate a tent.

JK

mickysf replied on 12/12/2023 20:24

Posted on 12/12/2023 18:12 by JollyKernow

Hi

You're welcome to put up a pup tent for the kids to sleep in on any of our club sites. Just make sure you book a standard pitch with awning. You don't need to have an awning but those pitches are bigger and will accommodate a tent.

JK

Posted on 12/12/2023 20:24

Does it need to be on the designated pitch area or can it go on the surrounding grass?

JollyKernow replied on 13/12/2023 07:24

Posted on 12/12/2023 20:24 by mickysf

Does it need to be on the designated pitch area or can it go on the surrounding grass?

Posted on 13/12/2023 07:24

A pup tent (for sleeping in) or any other equipment has to be kept within the confines of the pitch, the odd exception being for example there's a hedgerow behind the pitch then between the van and hedge is ok. The grass bits between pitches are part (not all) of the required fire separation gap so nothing fixed can be used there, ok for something moveable like a chair though.

JK

mickysf replied on 13/12/2023 08:35

Posted on 13/12/2023 07:24 by JollyKernow

A pup tent (for sleeping in) or any other equipment has to be kept within the confines of the pitch, the odd exception being for example there's a hedgerow behind the pitch then between the van and hedge is ok. The grass bits between pitches are part (not all) of the required fire separation gap so nothing fixed can be used there, ok for something moveable like a chair though.

JK

Posted on 13/12/2023 08:35

Thanks JK. I guess the fire breaks determine but best thing is to check with staff. We did this and was asked to place tent behind van on grass for sleeping but remove it during the day. Easily done with a pop pup tent and made sense to me. If fire are maintained could same be done on a non awing pitch, if not why?

JollyKernow replied on 13/12/2023 09:35

Posted on 13/12/2023 08:35 by mickysf

Thanks JK. I guess the fire breaks determine but best thing is to check with staff. We did this and was asked to place tent behind van on grass for sleeping but remove it during the day. Easily done with a pop pup tent and made sense to me. If fire are maintained could same be done on a non awing pitch, if not why?

Posted on 13/12/2023 09:35

I guess it depends on the non awning pitch. It's pretty much site specific, some non awning pitches have the space to deploy a sun canopy for example so a pup tent would be ok on them. On all grass sites there's no pitch definition as such and could be easy to stray into that fire break but like you say it's always best practise to consult with the site staff. 

JK

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook