This is Horrific - Fire at Meathop Fell

nelliethehooker replied on 02/01/2024 20:53

Posted on 02/01/2024 20:53

Just glad that the owner(s) managed to get away physically unhurt, but feel for their loss. The spacing between units seems to have done what it is meant to do and it looks as if no other vehicles were damaged.

Whittakerr replied on 02/01/2024 21:23

Posted on 02/01/2024 21:23

I agree with your sentiment NTH regarding nobody being hurt however I'll be suppressed if the adjacent units survived undamaged. With the heat generated by the burnt out motorhome the acrylic windows and the side panels will have been under tremendous stress. I once witnessed the side panel of a static caravan irreparably damages by a gas BBQ that was about 500mm away.

I hope everyone concerned is adequately insured.

Whittakerr replied on 02/01/2024 22:13

Posted on 02/01/2024 21:54 by Tinwheeler

I don’t think you mean 500mm 🤔

Posted on 02/01/2024 22:13

Yes, half a metre, about 18 inches. it was a gas BQQ with a lid that was down over the grill  plate and in use for about 30 minutes. The radiated heat severely damaged the side of the static van.

DavidKlyne replied on 02/01/2024 22:18

Posted on 02/01/2024 21:23 by Whittakerr

I agree with your sentiment NTH regarding nobody being hurt however I'll be suppressed if the adjacent units survived undamaged. With the heat generated by the burnt out motorhome the acrylic windows and the side panels will have been under tremendous stress. I once witnessed the side panel of a static caravan irreparably damages by a gas BBQ that was about 500mm away.

I hope everyone concerned is adequately insured.

Posted on 02/01/2024 22:18

If you read the comments attached to the video the owner of the car and caravan opposite the fire did comment generally about the video, actually thanking the poster for putting it online but made no mention of any damage to his own outfit which I imagine he might have done? 

David

Tinwheeler replied on 02/01/2024 22:30

Posted on 02/01/2024 22:13 by Whittakerr

Yes, half a metre, about 18 inches. it was a gas BQQ with a lid that was down over the grill  plate and in use for about 30 minutes. The radiated heat severely damaged the side of the static van.

Posted on 02/01/2024 22:30

In that case, what on earth was the user doing siting the BBQ that close to the static and how is it relevant to this event with other vans at least 6m away? See DK's post.

Let's just be glad there were no injuries sustained. Any unit damage can be sorted one way or another and, at the moment, it’s pure speculation.

SallyD replied on 02/01/2024 23:22

Posted on 02/01/2024 17:54 by Whittakerr
Content has been removed.

Posted on 02/01/2024 23:22

I think it is quite obvious from Bob’s video that other people are already on the scene that would have had the opportunity to call the services.

JollyKernow replied on 03/01/2024 08:37

Posted on 03/01/2024 08:37

It's a shame there are some people with such a negative mindset that they choose to pull a tragic event like this to pieces. A few seconds into the video you can hear sirens and that van was 3/4 gone which meant at least 8 to 10 minutes had passed before the chap doing the video saw it. We can always learn from a video like this and maybe make judgements but being in that situation is quite shocking for everyone.

As Ttda said above, the fact the van was on a corner pitch probably meant there was more space between adjoining outfits so less chance of radiated heat damaging them. 

I know what those staff are doing today, thankfully we have a support system in place for such events.

JK

DavidKlyne replied on 03/01/2024 09:28

Posted on 03/01/2024 09:28

JK

I agree with you, and have clearly watched the video more carefully than some. As you say the unfortunate motorhome was well alight before the vlogger noticed it, he was some way from the fire. There were also people standing around near the fire and it is unimaginable that one of those would not have called the emergency services or at the very least alerted the site staff well before Bob started filming.

I think perhaps time to close this thread, the video will remain for those that want to watch it but I am not sure further discussion is needed?

David

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook