Towing a caravan on the NC500

Liney101 replied on 23/12/2020 13:50

Posted on 23/12/2020 13:50

Hello.

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but next year (2021) my Dad is desperate to do the NC500 before he is too old. He has towed caravans for 40+ years.  We will accompany him with our own caravan and have towed for 10+ years, however I am worried that roads in the north west corner of route are extremely narrow, with passing points and rely on good reversing skills and nerves of steel!

Has anyone done the journey with a caravan and what advice would you give us? 

I am also thinking would stopping at the Kinlochewe site for 3-4 days and driving the route by car be a realistic and sensible alternative, and likewise then travelling up to Dunnet Bay site, via Bora site?  We would aim to start/end at Inverness as we have towed up the A9 before and that is a decent road.  The other thought is to hire a motorhome, but narrow roads and a vehicle you are not familiar with could be a baptism of fire.

We are looking to go mid-June after A'level exams and before results and uni.

Thank you.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/12/2020 14:09

Posted on 23/12/2020 14:09

You're right, it has been discussed many times before. You may find the threads by searching.

It is mostly doable with a caravan - not the Applecross bit - and many people do. If sites exist, they are accessible with a caravan - check out  https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk. for ideas. The roads aren't that narrow in the main and passing places exist but must be used sensibly. Your biggest problem might be the number of others doing the same trip. 

Do your research and choose the route and sites that suit you. Remember journeys take longer that far north and don't be too ambitious. You will be travelling in midge season!

KjellNN replied on 23/12/2020 14:48

Posted on 23/12/2020 14:48

We have done the route 3 times since 1970, 3 different vans, our current van an 8m twin axle.   We have not however been since it became so popular.

The main road, though single track in many places, is a wide single track with plenty of passing places and good visibility. 

We have used sites at Dingwall, Dunnet Bay, Altnahara, Sango Sands, Scourie, Inverewe, Kinlochewe and Morvich, and a couple of others  that no longer seem to exist

ArthurandJean replied on 23/12/2020 16:28

Posted on 23/12/2020 16:28

We have “done” the NC500 many times over the last 40+ years, the last being 2016, with caravans up to 7.4m. Many years ago it was so quiet it was possible to drive for over an hour without seeing another vehicle ! It really is a stunning route which needs to be done by taking your time. Although we go to Scotland every year, we won’t be doing the far north anytime soon as the number of people doing (and sadly sometimes abusing) the route spoils it for us. Take your time, look ahead and take care on the single track sections and you will be fine. Good luck.

harryb replied on 23/12/2020 18:38

Posted on 23/12/2020 18:38

Just something that I have thought of and you should bear in mind.

I was up that way a lot of years ago and whilst passing places are quite frequent the thing that comes to mind is that they weren't very long. As there are two outfits travelling together this may cause problems because you will need to get both outfits into the passing place for it to work.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/12/2020 18:48

Posted on 23/12/2020 18:38 by harryb

Just something that I have thought of and you should bear in mind.

I was up that way a lot of years ago and whilst passing places are quite frequent the thing that comes to mind is that they weren't very long. As there are two outfits travelling together this may cause problems because you will need to get both outfits into the passing place for it to work.

Posted on 23/12/2020 18:48

Yes, space yourselves out otherwise you'll be causing hold ups and inconveniencing others. Fortunately, not many roads are single track now if you stick to the main routes.

ABM replied on 23/12/2020 22:01

Posted on 23/12/2020 22:01

If you look further down this Thread for a couple of pages you will come across another NC500 series of posts, which may well be of use !!

Just a thought  - How old is your  Dad Now, Please Just to give us some idea of the problems innocent

flatcoat replied on 24/12/2020 07:42

Posted on 24/12/2020 07:42

I have been visiting the far NW of Scotland for over 60 years (from particularly from Torridon upto Scourie), have friends in Gairloch and family near Inverness. The traffic on the NC500 grows exponentially year on year. It is not your skills that are the issue but the skills of the convoys of rented motorhomes driven by the clueless, feckless and selfish. You meet one of those coming the other way..... personally i would do as you suggest and find a site that gives you a base for a week and head out each day, perhaps stay over B&B one night leaving the caravan on site. If doing the latter i would stay a bit further north than Kinlochewe, even with a caravan it doesnt take long to get to Gairloch or Ullapool from Inverness. There are good non club sites, one being Big Sand in Gairloch. If you hire a moho then invest in a club moho course, i did in anticipation that one day we might do something similar. However you go, the scenery is stunning at any time of year (have spent more than one christmas/new year snowed in at Gairloch) and if you go in summer take a few gallons of midge repellant....

Chemik89 replied on 25/12/2020 19:40

Posted on 25/12/2020 19:40

Hi Liney101, We spent 5 weeks touring Scotland in Aug / Sept this year.We travelled anti-clockwise and the bits in the glorious north were Dunnet Bay, Scourie and Ardmair.The roads are indeed narrow,but looking as far as posible ahead enables you to plan pulling into a passing place. Buses and lorries use these roads, so caution and good road manners will get you through.

Its a fabulous area, so take your time and enjoy youself ,let the speed merchants pass with a careless wave.

Longtimecaravanner replied on 26/12/2020 09:35

Posted on 26/12/2020 09:35

I have half heartedly been thinking about the west coast this spring [I am half hearted about any caravanning planning at the moment] and looking at Bing for the route it shows up the coast via the A832 and A835 or the longer route via the A832 and A838. Would I be right in thinking that the longer route is the easier drive?

brue replied on 27/12/2020 10:53

Posted on 27/12/2020 10:53

The A838 isn't a coastal route, it cuts across and I think you'll find it's a more narrow road.

The longer route gives access to lots of smaller coastal places.

Regarding a tour and where to stop (the OP's post) I think a few base stops with a caravan is easier and then drive out wherever the weather and whim takes you. Join in with the locals too, there are some nice community events and gatherings, if you see a market in a village hall, give it a go! 

It will be great if those of us who like travelling north can do so in 2021, happy travels everyone!

(I'm just looking at the weather in our old highland home, heavy snow just now, I remember it well! )

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook