Uttoxeter Racecourse

DavidKlyne replied on 16/01/2024 09:40

Posted on 16/01/2024 09:40

I notice that on the Club website they say, and I quote:- "We have taken the decision to close Uttoxeter Racecourse Club Campsite for the foreseeable future" Most are aware that the Club have had issues at this location because of site invasions. However today, looking at my Facebook updates I noticed a post with a screen shop which appears to come for the Race Course Owners saying that the site will be open for three day stays around each race meeting. I have not researched prices but have added the screen shot below for anyone who might be interested. 

David

mickysf replied on 16/01/2024 19:56

Posted on 16/01/2024 17:03 by eurortraveller

Market Rasen race course campsite is still open ,but run separately  from the Club - as is Stratford on Avon and others. Sounds as though Uttoxeter will follow that arrangement.

Posted on 16/01/2024 19:56

Sorry, I should have said a sad day when the club severed all connection with the site and relinquish its running of it. I think our nearest club site would now be Sutton on Sea. We have a distinct lack of club sites in north and mid Lincolnshire, it’s a big county, second only to Yorkshire I think. Having said that we do have some fabulous CLs.

DavidKlyne replied on 17/01/2024 09:42

Posted on 16/01/2024 19:56 by mickysf

Sorry, I should have said a sad day when the club severed all connection with the site and relinquish its running of it. I think our nearest club site would now be Sutton on Sea. We have a distinct lack of club sites in north and mid Lincolnshire, it’s a big county, second only to Yorkshire I think. Having said that we do have some fabulous CLs.

Posted on 17/01/2024 09:42

Those members of a certain vintage will remember using lots of racecourse sites in the past. I can think of Wincanton, Newcastle upon Tyne, Hexham, Weatherby, Brighton, Folkestone, and there may be more? As I mentioned up thread we don't know what goes on in discussions between the Club and the Racecourses. I know in a couple of cases the racecourses pulled out of having campsites to concentrate on other options. In other cases they have carried on as independent campsites. As I have mentioned in the past any site held on a lease of management contract are vulnerable to loss from the network and I suspect we will loose more sites as the years go by. As to areas of the Country being under presented by the Club there are several, Essex being one and the North Bucks/Beds/Northampton is another are without much representation.

David

peedee replied on 17/01/2024 10:12

Posted on 17/01/2024 10:12

Hereford reacecouse was another lost one. The Club used to have a site near Newport Pagnell, somewhere just off the A509. Last time I passed by there the area was being turned into a housing estate.

peedee

Hja replied on 17/01/2024 10:38

Posted on 17/01/2024 10:38

Interestingly the market rasen site is a Listed Site on the CCC web site. 

DavidKlyne replied on 17/01/2024 11:40

Posted on 17/01/2024 10:12 by peedee

Hereford reacecouse was another lost one. The Club used to have a site near Newport Pagnell, somewhere just off the A509. Last time I passed by there the area was being turned into a housing estate.

peedee

Posted on 17/01/2024 11:40

Lovat Meadow, about two miles from where I live. We stayed there once when we got a new van to test it out. Trouble was it was a bit muddy and Simon decided to help by giving me a push and promptly got covered from head to toe in mudcool Lucky we were so close to home!

David

Takethedogalong replied on 17/01/2024 11:57

Posted on 17/01/2024 11:57

Hexham Racecourse has a lovely independent site nowadays. We stayed a few years ago, during COVID and really enjoyed it. Couldn’t use the (brand new) facility block, as things were still shut up and restricted, but everything was well organised and spectacular views. Mainly grass pitches, but there were some huge MHs on there, and the one thing racecourses do know about is maintaining good ground conditions.

We really miss Wincanton Racecourse, sadly nothing replaced the Club Site when this finished. It was a great location, good views, close to places of interest, Wincanton town we enjoyed, good dog walking, and some good events on at the Racecourse itself. I used to go to a big annual craft fair there each year, on our way down to Cornwall.

We stayed at Wetherby, Market Rasen campsites (Trax) before we were married, nearly 40 years ago.

Takethedogalong replied on 17/01/2024 14:54

Posted on 17/01/2024 14:54

We had a tiny little camper van and toured Northumberland as part of our honeymoon, mid 1980’s. Hexham Racecourse was our first and last stop in Northumberland, as we wanted to see Hadrian’s Wall as well as the beautiful coast😁

JollyKernow replied on 17/01/2024 16:40

Posted on 17/01/2024 11:57 by Takethedogalong

Hexham Racecourse has a lovely independent site nowadays. We stayed a few years ago, during COVID and really enjoyed it. Couldn’t use the (brand new) facility block, as things were still shut up and restricted, but everything was well organised and spectacular views. Mainly grass pitches, but there were some huge MHs on there, and the one thing racecourses do know about is maintaining good ground conditions.

We really miss Wincanton Racecourse, sadly nothing replaced the Club Site when this finished. It was a great location, good views, close to places of interest, Wincanton town we enjoyed, good dog walking, and some good events on at the Racecourse itself. I used to go to a big annual craft fair there each year, on our way down to Cornwall.

We stayed at Wetherby, Market Rasen campsites (Trax) before we were married, nearly 40 years ago.

Posted on 17/01/2024 16:40

You're certainly right about racecourses and ground conditions Ttda. I thought I knew about grass until my time at Exeter Racecourse (fond memories of working there and all the invasions. Notyell). I learned an awful lot from the head groundsman there and apart from Godrevy Park my grass pitches have always survived the season well.

JK

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook