Vloggers Experience of Metering

SteveL replied on 21/12/2023 12:09

Posted on 21/12/2023 12:09

It’s a lifestyle choice is embracing smartphone technology, but it’s one we are just so happy we did. I wouldn’t be without mine now, we use so many useful Apps and features.

Same here, we’ve had a mobile since they started to go over to digital from analog in about 1997. Did not switch to a smartphone until  iPhone 5s times in 2014. That became two, one each a couple of years later. Now it’s difficult to imagine being without one, it does so much, from mobile banking, Apple Pay, camera (video and still), has all my OS maps for instant recall, face time and WhatsApp for keeping in touch with the family plus many, many other useful things. Even an App to aid levelling of MH😀

Tinwheeler replied on 21/12/2023 12:33

Posted on 21/12/2023 12:33

That’s much like us, Steve. It’s a way of life. I even sold my high end camera because my iPhone Pro does as good a job, maybe even better. Why lug around two devices🤷🏻‍♂️. 

I know we’re all different and make our own choices but I do feel smart phones enhance our lives. How I envy the youngsters of today having something we couldn’t even dream of!

Gillway replied on 21/12/2023 12:40

Posted on 21/12/2023 12:40

Very interesting the up-to-date review at Wyatts Covert! 🤔

Tinwheeler replied on 21/12/2023 12:52

Posted on 21/12/2023 12:40 by Gillway

Very interesting the up-to-date review at Wyatts Covert! 🤔

Posted on 21/12/2023 12:52

Hmm, isn’t it just!

Just one person's view, of course.

Gillway replied on 21/12/2023 13:50

Posted on 21/12/2023 12:52 by Tinwheeler

Hmm, isn’t it just!

Just one person's view, of course.

Posted on 21/12/2023 13:50

More than a view, surely - their experience!

Takethedogalong replied on 21/12/2023 14:19

Posted on 21/12/2023 12:09 by SteveL

It’s a lifestyle choice is embracing smartphone technology, but it’s one we are just so happy we did. I wouldn’t be without mine now, we use so many useful Apps and features.

Same here, we’ve had a mobile since they started to go over to digital from analog in about 1997. Did not switch to a smartphone until  iPhone 5s times in 2014. That became two, one each a couple of years later. Now it’s difficult to imagine being without one, it does so much, from mobile banking, Apple Pay, camera (video and still), has all my OS maps for instant recall, face time and WhatsApp for keeping in touch with the family plus many, many other useful things. Even an App to aid levelling of MH😀

Posted on 21/12/2023 14:19

Same here Steve. We use our phones to save weight and space as well in MH. Not as many maps, have a small Bluetooth speaker for music linked to phone. We bank online, use ApplePay as it’s so secure. Coupled with an IPad, we have all we need to read, watch TV, watch films, check out walks, interesting places to visit, shop online, take photos, track our fitness levels, contact family and friends free of charge.

We decided to check out what things could help us during COVID, and once you start using some of Apps, services, etc…. You wonder how you managed without them to be honest. We don’t get stuck in traffic anymore, we simply check routes out for volume before we set off. 

I do hate parking Apps though. Only because there are so many😡

Takethedogalong replied on 21/12/2023 14:21

Posted on 21/12/2023 13:50 by Gillway

Posted on 21/12/2023 14:21

I think it possibly tells you more about the users, rather than the Site, to be honest.

DavidKlyne replied on 21/12/2023 16:13

Posted on 21/12/2023 16:13

If you read further down the reviews there are several that have commented how easy it was to use the new system! I can only say that when I set up a meter-macs account for a non Club campsite it all seemed very straightforward as was the refund process. From the review you mention it was difficult to establish whether it may have been user error rather than a problem with the App/Program? The fact that several cards were used may well have thrown up a security flag? We will never know.

Might be useful for you to add your own review and thoughts on the metering system as I am sure the Club are watching carefully what people say.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 21/12/2023 16:42

Posted on 21/12/2023 16:42

Yes, their experience which gave rise to their unfavourable view but I can’t help feeling some of it may have been of their own making and we have no way of knowing if their expectation of the electricity cost was reasonable, nor do we know exactly what their 'cautious' use of electricity was. It’s a review to be read with an open mind in my opinion.

ChrisGla replied on 27/12/2023 15:51

Posted on 27/12/2023 15:51

Interesting thread. I have caravan pitched next to cottage we're renovating, been using Truma combi on Safefill @ around £.0.79/ litre. At 80% efficiency  I think that's around 14p per "electric kWh equivalent", or 16p if we pay £0.89 per litre (assuming 80% of 7kWh per litre is the equivalent)

We have electricity on Octopus tracker from the house which  is currently low at 14-17p/ kWh so actually seems cheaper.

Particularly for long term our "Airthings View plus" air quality meter revealed a couple of things.

The first is you need a lot of ventilation to keep CO2 below 1,000 in a caravan- all three roof lights and at least two windows on ventilate. Obviously this increases heating required, but it's only once I seen how high CO2 was getting that I compromised on energy savings.

The second thing unrelated to the conversation but interesting no less is the high level of VOC in a caravan, particularly when wet! Maybe this should be obvious given the amount of foam in construction. The van is a 2019 or so Bailey- so it's not just brand new flashing off of the insulation, although it has reduced quite a bit over the last 12 months.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook