An unfortunate booking experience

tephi850 replied on 29/11/2023 10:57

Posted on 29/11/2023 10:57

Earlier this month my friends purchased a new motorhome and to try it out, they booked the weekend of 24th to 26th November 2023 at the Burrs Country Park site.

I decided I would join them in my caravan but when I tried to book, there were pitches [only] available on Thursday 23rd and Saturday 25th November but nothing on Friday 24th November 2023. It indicated the site was full that night.

I kept checking back in case pitches became available on Friday 24th November 2023.

However no pitches did become available and indeed when I checked for a final time, the booking system showed the site as completely full with no pitches of any type available.

As I live within walking distance of the site, I therefore arranged to meet my friends at the site on the evening of Saturday 25th November 2023.

Imagine how I felt when I arrived at the site on the Saturday evening to find pitches clearly free, not being used and hence available. Indeed my friends told me they thought there had been pitches free on the Friday evening as well.

I immediately checked the booking app and – lo and behold – it showed the site as full.

Therefore I am suggesting that the booking process is clearly not fit for purpose as it is clearly providing inaccurate and false information regarding pitch availability.

I cannot believe that a number of people simply failed to turn up on the Friday and Saturday evenings and forfeited their deposits – there must have been cancellations which I can only assume were not updated on the booking system.

I would like to know if any other members have had a similar experience to me and if they have any suggestions as to how the system could be improved

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

mickysf replied on 01/12/2023 10:53

Posted on 01/12/2023 10:53

Quite a few sites, in our winter trip experiences, reduce the number of pitches available, the staffing levels and their focus on maintenance which often includes outsourced contractors. What can appear to some of us may well not actually be the case. Having said that the ‘new’ booking system does seem to be a bit clunky.

wellum1959 replied on 01/12/2023 11:17

Posted on 01/12/2023 10:48 by peedee

I have been browsing a few sites recently for a short break and have not noticed any sites showing fully block booked. Some weekends showing full but that is all. I made one booking without any problem. It does make one wonder if the problems are in fact down to the booking system or the devices used, perhaps site specific or finger trouble?

peedee

Posted on 01/12/2023 11:17

It appears to be device specific. Using my Android phone, both the app or via the chrome browser, all is normal on the site booking pages with prices showing for those sites open. Also prices appear for those sites that reopen in March / April

However, when using my Chromebook all those sites which reopen in March / April show 'full' all the way through to November next year.

Also have found the same problem with the Crystal Palace site which is presently open but showing full on my chromebook but availble on my phone.

My Chromebook is about a year old and the software is fully up to date. I have tried with the anti virus turned off but makes no difference.

It will probably remain a mystery.

LLM replied on 01/12/2023 11:24

Posted on 01/12/2023 11:17 by wellum1959

It appears to be device specific. Using my Android phone, both the app or via the chrome browser, all is normal on the site booking pages with prices showing for those sites open. Also prices appear for those sites that reopen in March / April

However, when using my Chromebook all those sites which reopen in March / April show 'full' all the way through to November next year.

Also have found the same problem with the Crystal Palace site which is presently open but showing full on my chromebook but availble on my phone.

My Chromebook is about a year old and the software is fully up to date. I have tried with the anti virus turned off but makes no difference.

It will probably remain a mystery.

Posted on 01/12/2023 11:24

Have you tried clearing the cache in your ChromeBook?

wellum1959 replied on 01/12/2023 11:36

Posted on 01/12/2023 11:24 by LLM

Have you tried clearing the cache in your ChromeBook?

Posted on 01/12/2023 11:36

Thanks, yes I've tried that, makes no difference.

Actually I just realised that all sites are showing full after the 1st of Feb, on my chromebook

RedKite replied on 01/12/2023 12:02

Posted on 01/12/2023 12:02

Agree with you JK and having looked at the pitches shown on the photo there are no pitch markers on them hence they probably not on the booking system and as said could be staffing issues. A chat with site staff would have helped to find why they were empty.

LLM replied on 01/12/2023 12:02

Posted on 01/12/2023 12:02

Are you looking at pitches that may be closed, e.g. grass.  If so try hard standings.

Fozzie replied on 02/12/2023 12:12

Posted on 02/12/2023 12:12

I have looked at booking Winchester Morn Hill over the last couple of weeks,and both times it defaults to the ferry pitches.

JollyKernow replied on 02/12/2023 13:41

Posted on 02/12/2023 12:12 by Fozzie

I have looked at booking Winchester Morn Hill over the last couple of weeks,and both times it defaults to the ferry pitches.

Posted on 02/12/2023 13:41

Just change the pitch type in the drop down box Fozzie, there's availability from now until Christmas.

JK

Fozzie replied on 02/12/2023 16:31

Posted on 02/12/2023 13:41 by JollyKernow

Just change the pitch type in the drop down box Fozzie, there's availability from now until Christmas.

JK

Posted on 02/12/2023 16:31

Yes Thanks JK I was aware of that,just surprises me,the booking page selects or defaults to the ferry pitches,when the most popular selection would be Hardstanding with awning. It is not until you see the message "You can only book 1 night" that you are on the ferry pitch selection.

Incidentally,last time I looked, the site's availability was difficult for a four night booking.

JollyKernow replied on 02/12/2023 16:41

Posted on 02/12/2023 16:41

There's space from the 17th to 29th at present with the odd night before that. It does seem strange the default to ferry pitches though. 

JK

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook