HRH Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh RIP

JillwithaJay replied on 09/04/2021 12:58

Posted on 09/04/2021 12:58

It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.  The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss. 

Further announcements will be made in due course. Visit >>>  www.royal.uk <<< to read the announcement in full.

milliehull replied on 09/04/2021 22:09

Posted on 09/04/2021 22:09

So very sad. Especially for the Queen and the rest of the Royal family. He has been in the Queen's own words 'her strength and stay' and an absolute rock to the Royal family. He has also done so much for society with all his many charitable works. One of his greatest achievements has been The Duke of Edinburgh Award's scheme which has benefited so many young people. His conservation work has also been of great benefit. He was a moderniser which some people didnt appreciate (I did). My thoughts are with the Royal family and the rest of the country and Commonwealrh but especially so with the Queen. The rest of her reign is going to be very lonely. May he rest in peace.

Freddy55 replied on 09/04/2021 22:31

Posted on 09/04/2021 22:31

In my youth, I regarded royalty as a bunch of spongers, living the high life at our expense. These days my view has changed considerably. Yes, there are some that don’t do the royal family justice, but Philip wasn’t one of them, IMV. He was, to me, instrumental in dragging the royal family into the modern era with his straight forward/straight talking approach, pioneering conservation before it became fashionable, and of course, his DoE scheme. In times of family crisis, he was always the rock. Imagine if it was your family, always in the full glare of publicity and subject to public scrutiny...I think he did an amazing job of trying to holding it all together. From (relatively) humble and troubled beginnings, he went on to become someone worthy of note, for his dedication to both his country and our regent. Yes he was prone to the odd gaff and a certain bit of controversy, but to me, he was a good egg and I will remember him fondly.

RIP Philip, you did us proud.

cyberyacht replied on 10/04/2021 09:06

Posted on 10/04/2021 09:06

He shared the same birthday as my late father who as a police officer, encountered members of the Royal family on a number of occasions. RIP "Phil the Greek". We'll not see his like again, I fear.

ADP1963 replied on 10/04/2021 12:07

Posted on 10/04/2021 12:07

Truly an Honourable Loyal man and a role roll model for any young husband and parent to be. His values was his family and country. R.I. P

RowenaBCAMC replied on 17/04/2021 07:53

Posted on 17/04/2021 07:53

The funeral of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, KG, KT. will take place today, Saturday 17 April 2021, at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.

Prince Philip became Club Patron in 1952, and can be seen here with with the former Club Chairman, Ken Dolton, and a gentleman dressed as pioneering caravanner Dr William Gordon Stables with the first custom-built leisure caravan, The Wanderer, at The Royal Windsor Horse Show in May 1982.

The Club sends its condolences to Her Majesty The Queen and the rest of the Royal Family today.

“His Royal Highness shared our passion for the great outdoors and he was always keen to encourage active use and enjoyment of the countryside in a responsible way." - Nick Lomas, Director General.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook