JPR Williams

nelliethehooker replied on 08/01/2024 22:00

Posted on 08/01/2024 22:00

Wales and British and Irish Lions rugby legend JPR Williams has died at the age of 74. What a player!!

"JPR died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children, after a short illness, bravely battling bacterial meningitis"

One of the greatest who will be sadly missed.

RIP JPR

moulesy replied on 09/01/2024 15:13

Posted on 09/01/2024 15:13

I played a couple of (schoolboy) games at full back and I remember the sports master saying "your job is just to get hold of the ball and whack it in to touch"!

That was the job of a full back in those days,  but JPR broke all the rules and turned that position into an extra attacker. 

A marvellous player and, as so many of our sporting heroes now passed, a true gentleman of the game.

replied on 10/01/2024 18:53

Posted on 10/01/2024 18:53

The user and all related content has been deleted

mickysf replied on 12/01/2024 16:16

Posted on 10/01/2024 18:53 by

Ref mickysf, above...

Today, JPR would not be allowed to play on after being stamped on by an All Black (in a game v Bridgend), and having 30 stiches in his face put in pitch side by his Doctor father. How times have changed.

A player who always excited: mad as a hatter, reckless at times, colourful, full of flair. Another one of that era who has left us. And if you want a little reminder:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/1970s-wales-rugby-heroes-weve-28413166

I was at school with one of them.

(I apologise for the awfulness of WOL!)

Oh, and JPR had a hand in That Try!

Posted on 12/01/2024 16:16

Fantastic footballers all, what a wonderful era for Welsh rugby. Still with us but not on the list would be Geoff Wheel in my opinion. That Pontipool front row, formidable! 

replied on 12/01/2024 17:32

Posted on 12/01/2024 17:32

The user and all related content has been deleted
Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook