100 year anniversary of the Somme disaster.

Kennine replied on 30/06/2016 09:11

Posted on 30/06/2016 09:11

All those brave men sent to their un-necessary deaths.

K

dennisd replied on 01/07/2016 14:02

Posted on 01/07/2016 14:02

After a bit of on-line research I discovered that my great uncle Albert was not comemerated on the wall of Liverpool Town Hall Room of Rememberance. This is dedicated to all those Liverpool men who lost their lives in The Great War, even the ones who had emigrated  and had returned with the  Commonwealth armies to fight. My family were invited to the Town Hall for the Dedication Ceremony, which we attended expecting to be the only ones there. It was a  big surprise when we got there because the place was packed full and there were 120 other names being added. The Lord Major explained that for many years there were no additions to the memorial but now that people can research family history so much easier it's resulted in  more  names being added every year. It was a proud but very sad day.

brue replied on 01/07/2016 16:58

Posted on 01/07/2016 16:58

There is a very powerful and moving programme called "The Somme" on CH 4 based on diaries of some of the men on both sides (and a female nurse) who took part. It is very difficult to watch but is a beautifully made record of the event. 

Merve replied on 09/08/2016 21:19

Posted on 09/08/2016 21:19

If there is one thing everyone who enjoys the freedoms of this country should do at least once in their lifetime- make a visit to the WW1 cemeteries - you'll never forget it! What sacrifice. I am proud to call them my countrymen. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook