Donald Campbell - In Memoriam

moulesy replied on 04/01/2017 13:23

Posted on 04/01/2017 13:23

Exactly 50 years ago today Donald Campbell died whilst trying to break the world speed record on Coniston Water. One of the great heroes on my young days, I can still vividly remember the black and white TV pictures of Bluebird overturning off the water in that final crash. His body was not recovered until many years later and he now lies in rest in the little cemetery in Coniston village. A true British hero.

Bakers2 replied on 04/01/2017 13:29

Posted on 04/01/2017 13:29

We were at coniston last October and visited his grave, didn't twig on dates at the  time. Like you can clearly Remember it.

Sorry posting on Kindle tricky 😯😯😯 

JillwithaJay replied on 04/01/2017 14:11

Posted on 04/01/2017 14:11

I too remember the day very clearly.  I visited his grave shortly after he was laid to rest there when it was covered with blue and yellow tributes. I'm glad that the family agreed to this being his final resting place as it felt appropriate.

My brother showed me this picture many years ago as this was taken on the hotel car park only two minutes from where I used to live in Blackpool.  Not sure if it would have been on it's way up to the Lake District.

volvoman9 replied on 06/01/2017 16:24

Posted on 06/01/2017 16:24

One of a line of real daredevils who may have paid a high price but stirred the imagination of the british people and stamped their name on our glorious history in the persuit of records.

v9

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook