60 Years in the Wild

mickysf replied on 29/12/2022 12:12

Posted on 29/12/2022 12:12

What a fabulous series this is proving to be. Today’s programme was particularly interesting for me as it explored the changing attitudes, practices and philosophies towards nature over six decades. Interesting to learn how Richard Attenborough and Peter Scott in particular modified their stances and attitudes towards animal welfare, natural environments, rewilding and the reintroductions of creatures on the brink of extinction during this time and the battles they have had with those less than concerned. Sadly too many species have been lost during Attenborough’s lifetime but his resolve remains steadfast along with his support and actions to save our planet. Well worth a watch! 

RedKite replied on 30/12/2022 09:36

Posted on 30/12/2022 09:36

Do you mean David not Richard mickysf? Also what channel is it on as I seemed to have missed it and cannot get I player or other catch up channels.

mickysf replied on 30/12/2022 12:23

Posted on 30/12/2022 09:36 by RedKite

Do you mean David not Richard mickysf? Also what channel is it on as I seemed to have missed it and cannot get I player or other catch up channels.

Posted on 30/12/2022 12:23

Silly me, I did! It’s on BBC iplayer as Attenborough:60 Years in the Wild.

What I found interesting in yesterday’s programme was the parallels I could personally make. Like Peter Scott in my early youth I was involved with the hunting, shooting, fishing community. It was there when involved in driven shoots  as a beater, shooter and socially that I witnessed both cruelty and a disregard for wildlife occupying the space where these ‘sports’ were dominating the natural and managed ecosystems. Those experiences change my outlook and attitude completely. 
As said previously, well worth watching!

RedKite replied on 30/12/2022 13:32

Posted on 30/12/2022 13:32

Thanks for the information mickysf and like you I was bought up in rural Shropshire with a lot of things you mentioned going on although I did not get involved and later in life I did a lot of wildlife conservation being a volunteer in Somerset.

I have joined the LPO here in France and hope to get to some of their meetings as they have some local events around this area for January 1 event is an early evening do to see 100's of Redkites settle in trees for the night.

Just wish we could get iplayer here as I often see things I would like to watch.

Tammygirl replied on 30/12/2022 14:20

Posted on 30/12/2022 13:32 by RedKite

Thanks for the information mickysf and like you I was bought up in rural Shropshire with a lot of things you mentioned going on although I did not get involved and later in life I did a lot of wildlife conservation being a volunteer in Somerset.

I have joined the LPO here in France and hope to get to some of their meetings as they have some local events around this area for January 1 event is an early evening do to see 100's of Redkites settle in trees for the night.

Just wish we could get iplayer here as I often see things I would like to watch.

Posted on 30/12/2022 14:20

RK, off thread I know but when we are abroad I can watch BBCi player through a free VPN that I have on my phone.

If you have a good WiFi signal it is possible.

The other choice you could do is buy an Amazon Firestick next time you are over here and set it up in the UK, it should then work fine once back in France. 

RedKite replied on 30/12/2022 17:26

Posted on 30/12/2022 17:26

Thanks for the tips Youtube OH tried he is ex IT no luck as it is payable to get it and as we do not do much with Youtube and TG OH tried VPN and again no luck as we do no have a UK tv license anymore, so will leave at the moment. OH tried with with a couple of free ones and got those ie. channel 4 and Yesterday no problems with his iPad so may look at those sometimes we have got Amazon Prime and some Apple tv but only the free bits all too much for me but many thanks for your input.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook