A Christmas Carol

replied on 27/12/2019 15:56

Posted on 27/12/2019 15:56

Whilst we have been away (since 15th December) we have watched OH's favourites. 2 episodes of only connect and 3 or 4 University Challenge episodes.

moulesy replied on 27/12/2019 16:08

Posted on 27/12/2019 15:56 by

Whilst we have been away (since 15th December) we have watched OH's favourites. 2 episodes of only connect and 3 or 4 University Challenge episodes.

Posted on 27/12/2019 16:08

I've watched the University Challenge episodes too. It always amazes me how unkowledgeable some of those so called intellectual alumni are compared to present day students - and with far easier sets of questions too! surprised

ABM replied on 27/12/2019 16:41

Posted on 27/12/2019 15:33 by moulesy

I don't think there's anything "odd" about enjoying any reading material to be honest.

Some years back, after an excellent school production of Great Expectations I went back to read that. I shall do the same with A Christmas Carol but that'll probably be it as far as Dickens is concerned for the time being. smile

BTW, a bit off thread,  but am I alone, or odd, in having found the much vamped come back of Gavin & Stacey an excruciatingly pointless waste of 60 minute's viewing? undecided

Posted on 27/12/2019 16:41

Like several others on here, I like "The Classics " so much so that I have the complete works of both Dickens and Shakespeare on my Kindle and regularly dip in for a change from Sci Fi / Fantasy.wink

As for G & S , Moulesy mate, I found it very poor when it was fresh onto the screen, and there was no obvious way I could be forced to watch this latest  money making episode  yell

replied on 27/12/2019 16:44

Posted on 27/12/2019 14:10 by thebells

Add me to the "odd" list too😊

Posted on 27/12/2019 16:44

The user and all related content has been deleted

cyberyacht replied on 28/12/2019 09:02

Posted on 28/12/2019 09:02

BTW, a bit off thread, but am I alone, or odd, in having found the much vamped come back of Gavin & Stacey an excruciatingly pointless waste of 60 minute's viewing?

Not ever having watched the original stuff, I didn't bother with the comeback. Good to know I haven't wasted 60 minutes which, at my age, I can ill-afford to do.

brue replied on 28/12/2019 10:53

Posted on 28/12/2019 10:53

We all enjoyed G&S except the one person who'd never watched the series so couldn't work out the funny story lines. Have enjoyed the "mature" University Christmas Challenge too, can't say I've bothered with much else, but did watch Worzel Gummidge and missed the Jon Pertwee version which our children loved.

But as for Dickens adaptions I prefer those closer to the original. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 28/12/2019 11:09

Posted on 28/12/2019 11:09

This philistine has never read any Dickens, so I come to this with little idea of the story, no idea of the writing, and only incomplete viewings of other Dickens adaptations. OH loves Dickens. 

It was watchable, but only because of the superb acting. Very slow, good imagery, possibly a realistic interpretation of a brutal time in our history. Still got to catch up from episode one.

Other than UC, OC and a Royal Institute lecture, it’s the only mainstream TV we have seen. OH has been overdosing on the Carry On films while I have been snuffling and sneezing elsewhere.

I shall be tuning in to watch Dracula though!πŸ§›‍β™‚οΈπŸ˜

Takethedogalong replied on 28/12/2019 11:16

Posted on 27/12/2019 22:17 by thebells

Thanks for the heads up WayTwoGo: like you I don't enjoy the cinema experience these days so I shall also await the release of the dvd😊

Posted on 28/12/2019 11:16

We did some research, and avoid the big multiplexes, and find a more arthouse venue. We use The Showroom in Sheffield. Newcastle might have something similar if it’s a location that suits you? We make an afternoon of it, go for lunch in cinema eatery, take our own choice of nibbles and drinks. A world away from stinky hotdogs, plonkers tethered to their phones and too loud building shaking sound tracks. πŸ‘

Edit: found this, sounds very like our Showroom

https://tynesidecinema.co.uk/

TonyBurton replied on 03/01/2020 21:46

Posted on 03/01/2020 21:46

No one mentioned watching Call the Midwife. It was remarkable.They got all the way to Scotland behind a Great Western Railway engine and used a button A and B phone box that sent pips to add more coins.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook