Around the…..zzzzzzzz🥱

Takethedogalong replied on 28/12/2021 12:04

Posted on 28/12/2021 12:04

Love David Tennant, so tuned into this, Around the World in 80 Days, with huge expectations. I gave up after half an hour, found it utterly confusing and boring. Over tinkered with to shoehorn in lots of politically correct actor ratios, Tennant is miscast for me as a very dour Fogg, the relationships between the three main leads just simply do not work, and the whole story is a confused slow moving plod rather than a time sensitive romp against the clock. OH persevered through two full episodes, but glancing up from my far more engrossing knitting didn’t catch my attention any further at any point, even the supposed “will it work” moments. Don’t think we will get through the whole eight episodes. Others may think differently, but the whole story as Verne wrote it was about a gallop against the clock. This didn’t even reach beyond a slow walk to be honest.

Totally different type of drama, but I started watching A Very British Affair later, enjoyed it so far. 

DavidKlyne replied on 28/12/2021 16:49

Posted on 28/12/2021 16:49

We have recorded the David Tennant version but not yet started to watch. I suspect remakes are a bit Marmite as you either love them or hate them? It was of course written by a Frenchman giving his thoughts on how an Englishman might react in such circumstances so I suppose there are options for a wide range of interpretations? Some will work and some won't, I will reserve judgement until I have at least seen some of it!!!

Final episode of the Argyll  saga tonight which will be mainly the Court Drama? Back when it happened I was only about 17 so I don't suppose I paid much attention? Its taken me a long time to catch upwink

David

RedKite replied on 28/12/2021 18:07

Posted on 28/12/2021 18:07

Had the same affect here TDA half an hour and thought seen David Tennant in much better dramas even OH who does not watch much tv thought it boring as well.

Takethedogalong replied on 28/12/2021 18:45

Posted on 28/12/2021 18:45

It’s a very lavish production, and of course the costumes, sets, locations are very good. But to me, and I stress it’s a personal view, it’s let down by a very sedate and at times disjointed story. I hope you enjoy it though DK.

Have watched first episode of the Duchess drama, and this rattles along nicely. I was a mere toddler, so it’s an unknown story for me, which possibly makes it more interesting, and has certainly had me Googling for more information about the people involved, and Inveraray Castle. We drove past coming home from Mull of Kintyre the long way one holiday.  

SeasideBill replied on 30/01/2022 20:49

Posted on 30/01/2022 20:49

Just finished watching “Hidden Assets” on iPlayer, originally on BBC4 (where they always stick stuff with some subtitles) - Irish/Belgium collaboration - great drama.

heddlo replied on 01/02/2022 08:47

Posted on 01/02/2022 08:47

We watched all episodes of Round the World.  It was ‘alright’ as something to watch and we enjoyed some parts, but there were some disjointed bits and some rather far fetched bits.  I know it’s a thing these days but the political correctness really doesn’t work, sorry!  It ruined ‘Darling buds of May’ with Bradley Walsh, gave that up after 2 programmes - I just doubt it would have been like that in deepest Kent in the 1950’s!  

Metheven replied on 03/02/2022 10:02

Posted on 03/02/2022 10:02

We watched it and it was OK.

It was more to relive what was possible before the Pandemic laughing. Eighty days would be a bit of a challenge these days 😷

SteveL replied on 03/02/2022 10:05

Posted on 30/01/2022 20:05 by DavidKlyne

As I said I would reserve judgement until I had seen all the episodes, we saw the last one tonight. I have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought the three main characters worked well together. 

David

Posted on 03/02/2022 10:05

We still have the last one to go but have also enjoyed it.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook