Downton Abbey - The Film

DavidKlyne replied on 02/10/2019 16:52

Posted on 02/10/2019 16:52

Went to see the Downton Abbey film today. If you had watched the TV series the film was a pretty seamless move other than they took advantage of cinegraphic effects a lot more, some to good effect others not so. I thought there was more humour in the film than in the TV series perhaps because they had it extended over a two hour slot. Can't help thinking it will become something of a franchise. I doubt its an Oscar winner but enjoyable nonetheless.

David

Cherokee2015 replied on 02/10/2019 21:39

Posted on 02/10/2019 21:39

I enjoyed the film, however would have preferred two one-hour episodes on tv over the Christmas period.  I don’t think the film warranted the big screen.    

Additionally, I don’t think the side story about Barrow was needed as it added nothing to the film and didn’t have any connection to the main event.   

Loved Maggie Smith as ever and quote of the film ‘I don’t argue, I explain’.  I also loved Mr Moseley putting his foot in it!   

trellis replied on 03/10/2019 17:37

Posted on 03/10/2019 17:37

I enjoyed the film a lot , the plot line was predictable but I thought the writers tied up the loose ends from the various series nicely. Bet it's out on DVD for Christmas .Guess what my OH will be getting ? 😀.

brue replied on 04/10/2019 19:57

Posted on 04/10/2019 19:57

Went to see the film today, not being a Downton aficionado had to link up some of the plot lines in a slower way than those who know the series. Got a bit confused but enjoyed it! Entertaining in a low key way and I was hoping for more glitter and sparkle, it also seemed a bit low budget in certain scenes. The idea about the maid taking things must have been based on Queen Mary I guess, not very original?

replied on 05/10/2019 00:48

Posted on 05/10/2019 00:48

The user and all related content has been deleted

Takethedogalong replied on 07/10/2019 20:59

Posted on 07/10/2019 20:59

I see a lot of the film locations are based in North. We were on Pickering station this afternoon. I went to college at Wentworth Woodhouse, slept in a few of the bedrooms, played lacrosse and learned to fence in the Marble Saloon. 😁

Oneputt replied on 07/10/2019 21:20

Posted on 07/10/2019 21:20

and learned to fence 

Amazing what you learn on here, I used to fence in the Army, that’s over 40 years ago but still remember the rudiments

Takethedogalong replied on 07/10/2019 22:16

Posted on 07/10/2019 22:16

I was helping out a fellow student OP. We all had a final dissertation to submit and someone needed volunteers to use as guinea pigs, in return we would learn some basic fencing. It was only basic, but she was good, a great tutor. We were all PE students. I was better at Archery, went on to coach it later in life.

Being in Wentworth Woodhouse, wandering the rooms, using the now ruined library, sleeping in some of the wonderful rooms, and having the Estate and grounds to play in was magical, a real privilege. It’s getting used extensively now for films and TV, which goes towards its restoration and future upkeep. You can now do a tour of some of the rooms, it’s not cheap, but well worth the cost.

Takethedogalong replied on 12/10/2019 17:10

Posted on 12/10/2019 17:10

Just in case anyone is interested, all the Downton Abbey TV series are available via Now TV Entertainment.

I only watched series one, and a bit of series two, but might try and get a bit further......

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook