Eurovision

DavidKlyne replied on 23/05/2021 11:26

Posted on 23/05/2021 11:26

Didn't watch it this year as it clashed with the quali for the Monaco GP on Channel Four, then went straight to Scandi drama we have been watching on BBC4.

Seems it was another humiliating night for the UK? What is the problem? Are our songs just not up to muster, are they too modern or commercial. I am not really in a position to judge but it seems we get it wrong every year. When listening to our entry I can't say that it is a song I would download. I wonder if it would be less embarrassing if, rather than getting a bye into the main competition, our song had to go through the heats as most other countries have to? You could well understand why no well know British singer or Group would want to enter the competitionsurprised

David

redface replied on 26/05/2021 23:24

Posted on 26/05/2021 23:24

I suspect it is down to my age - I cannot stand the cacophony and the  visuals are merely there to detract from the diabolical noise. I confess that the last time I watched that programme was when Abba rendered 'Waterloo'. It was simple, melodic and did not hurt the eyeballs. 

By the way - thank you Cliff and Sandie for your efforts

replied on 28/05/2021 00:54

Posted on 23/05/2021 11:26 by DavidKlyne

Didn't watch it this year as it clashed with the quali for the Monaco GP on Channel Four, then went straight to Scandi drama we have been watching on BBC4.

Seems it was another humiliating night for the UK? What is the problem? Are our songs just not up to muster, are they too modern or commercial. I am not really in a position to judge but it seems we get it wrong every year. When listening to our entry I can't say that it is a song I would download. I wonder if it would be less embarrassing if, rather than getting a bye into the main competition, our song had to go through the heats as most other countries have to? You could well understand why no well know British singer or Group would want to enter the competitionsurprised

David

Posted on 28/05/2021 00:54

I last watched a Eurovision When Sandie Shaw won laughing

Voting is largely political. 

I have seen our entry on Youtube but I would not have voted for any song where I could not pick up all the words when sung in English

DavidKlyne replied on 28/05/2021 15:06

Posted on 28/05/2021 00:54 by

I last watched a Eurovision When Sandie Shaw won laughing

Voting is largely political. 

I have seen our entry on Youtube but I would not have voted for any song where I could not pick up all the words when sung in English

Posted on 28/05/2021 15:06

I have only seen a glimpse of the UK entry so perhaps not really fair to pass comment although the bit I saw didn't really do anything for me. 

As to being political I am sure that is possible and Terry Wogan had a few funny quips about how some countries voted.  However I have seen some research that suggests countries tend to vote for the countries they have a land border with which suggests it could be a more cultural thing than politics. So unless an outlier country has an exceptional song its likely countries will vote for those they have a cultural closeness to. If you think about the history of Europe bits of Germany and France have changed hands over the years as have Italy and Austria so that suggestion makes more sense to me. I do sometimes think the UK puts too much emphasis on the song rather than the performance? Bill Bailey has the look of a Eurovision winner!!!!

David

MikeyA replied on 28/05/2021 15:39

Posted on 28/05/2021 15:39

I didn't watch it this year but it is no wonder we didn't stand a chance.

Whether you believe it should only be about the song or not, in reality it isn't. Like a music video it should be a visual spectacular as well as a song, where good looking contestants in glamorous costumes and some unique props combine together to present a performance designed to attract votes.

If you cast your mind back to 2017 the Swedish entry was a song entitled "I can't go on" with some good looking men in suits on travellators, it didn't actually win but it was great theatre.

Our effort this year was totally forgettable and reminded of a bloke down the pub getting up for karaoke. We may never win again due to politics but we should not be pointless. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook