Hatton Garden

DavidKlyne replied on 23/05/2019 22:13

Posted on 23/05/2019 22:13

Just finished watching this series over four nights this week. Seemed to be much more realistic than the film released earlier. Good roles played by Timothy Spall and Kenneth Cranham supported by  Geoff Bell, David Hayman and Alex Norton amongst others. The interesting thing in the closing credits they reckoned that £14 million has not been recovered!

David

peedee replied on 24/05/2019 08:38

Posted on 24/05/2019 08:38

£14 million was the estimated total haul. I thought it said £10 million was still missing. The programme itself didn't show any of the loot as being squirrelled away. Perhaps tonight's inside story will reveal more.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 24/05/2019 08:48

Posted on 24/05/2019 08:48

You’re right that it said £10m was not recovered, PD. I doubt any more will be revealed as the truth is not known. Parts of the drama were just that, dramatised, because the full story remains uncovered. 

DavidKlyne replied on 24/05/2019 10:03

Posted on 24/05/2019 10:03

Whoops, sorry got my figures mixed up but what's four million between friends!!! 

It was a drama and as such it won't be totally realistic as it can't without input from those involved so that is the way we have to judge it. Although there is the police investigation which I expect a lot of it was based on. I thought it made good television. Initially I thought it was just going to be a rerun of the film "KIng of Thieves" 

David

moulesy replied on 24/05/2019 10:13

Posted on 24/05/2019 10:13

It will be interesting to see if there are any big revelations in tonight's documentary, but I doubt it. As a drama I thought it was pretty good and certainly highlighted the "dishonour amongst thieves"!

Incidentally, did anyone else think that Timothy Spall looked very unwell?  I know he was playing the part of Terry Perkins who was very ill anyway and died in prison, but it was either a very good make up job or he's lost an awful lot of weight.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/05/2019 10:19

Posted on 24/05/2019 10:19

Apparently they did have access to some police transcripts which is what a lot is based on but, obviously, much of the crooks’ side of the story is not known. 

The character Cyrus didn’t exist as such but was a representation of several people and introduced to remind people there were sad victims of the bad guys. 

The full value of the haul was never known as a lot of victims didn’t come forward but it was thought to be between £14m and £200m😱. 

Whatever, it made for a good bit of telly. 👍🏻

Tinwheeler replied on 24/05/2019 10:21

Posted on 24/05/2019 10:13 by moulesy

It will be interesting to see if there are any big revelations in tonight's documentary, but I doubt it. As a drama I thought it was pretty good and certainly highlighted the "dishonour amongst thieves"!

Incidentally, did anyone else think that Timothy Spall looked very unwell?  I know he was playing the part of Terry Perkins who was very ill anyway and died in prison, but it was either a very good make up job or he's lost an awful lot of weight.

Posted on 24/05/2019 10:21

Agree about TS, M. He seems to have altered considerably. His natural hang dog expression doesn’t enhance his appearance of ‘well being’ either. 

replied on 24/05/2019 10:40

Posted on 24/05/2019 10:40

From a Times Interview with Tim Spall.

Spall, 62, is in a mischievous mood. It has been four years since his preparations for a role in Sky’s paranormal drama The Enfield Haunting required him to lose weight, and he simply carried on, dropping a reported four stone. “I think this concern with my weight has got a bit out of hand. I mean, the world is falling apart and everyone wants to know why I’m not having seconds of rhubarb and custard.”

Actually, he’s not having pudding at all. Or wine. “I avoid sugar and I don’t drink. People don’t realise: a bottle of wine with a meal? That’s two meals.”

Maybe image here? Timothy Spall Image

Link Edit

heddlo replied on 24/05/2019 13:25

Posted on 24/05/2019 13:25

Agree with Moulesy about the weight loss.  He just looks so poorly.  To be honest we didn’t recognise him as Tim Spall for a few minutes. I realise it’s healthy to lose some weight but some people just go too far! Looking forward to seeing the programme,  we’ve recorded it.

papgeno replied on 26/05/2019 09:08

Posted on 26/05/2019 09:08

I recorded the four programmes and watched it over two nights. I was shocked at how much weight Timothy Spall had lost but assumed he'd done it for the part .

The documentary which I also recorded and watched last night was revealing in that it showed how many mistakes the gang made both prior to and after the 'job', and the lengths the police go to in surveillance etc..

All in all good telly 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook